Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Data missing when change landuse in geogrid

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Jinlong Ma

Dear all wrf users,

I wanted to use new MODIS land use data in WPS and replace it with WPS default land use data. I followed the steps listing in the post of meteors(
How to replace MODIS Land Use data in WPS
). I chose the domain of china as the study area, and I was sure the download domain is large than Chinese domain(197x127,36km).But I met a problem here, I don't know how to make sure the known_lat and known_lon in the index file, where can I find out the information? I just used the latitude and longitude of the output of WPS(met_*).

The geogrid.exe program worked successfully, but the result of LANDINDEX and LANDMASK was none.

LANDMASK.png
LANDINDEX .png

The minimum and maximum of the landindex both are 17, and the minimum and maximum of the landmask both are -1, I can't find the wrong place.
Note: The MODIS raster file spatially covers the domain 01.
The dates are available in the below:
View attachment test_modis.zip
Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Below is the description how to set known_lat and known_lon:
KNOWN_X : A real value specifying the i-coordinate of an (i,j) location corresponding to a (latitude, longitude) location that is known in the projection. Default value is 1.
KNOWN_Y : A real value specifying the j-coordinate of an (i,j) location corresponding to a (latitude, longitude) location that is known in the projection. Default value is 1.
KNOWN_LAT : A real value specifying the latitude of a (latitude, longitude) location that is known in the projection. No default value.
KNOWN_LON : A real value specifying the longitude of a (latitude, longitude) location that is known in the projection. No default value.
Please see https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/user_guide_v4/v4.0/users_guide_chap3.html#_Writing_Meteorological_Data

Can you examine whether your settings are correct?