Editing/changing wind speed input

Questions/topics related to the first-guess input meteorological data, and Vtables
jbasconcillo

Editing/changing wind speed input

Post by jbasconcillo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:20 am

I want to simulate TC genesis within the peripheries of Philippine seas. Considering that the strength of zonal wind (monsoon flow) is a major factor in seasonal TC genesis, I want to reduce/increase time-varying zonal wind speed. My concerns are the following:

1. How do I edit the wind speed in the boundary condition? From time 1 to time n? From surface to uppermost level?
2. How do I make sure that such editing will also forget the memory of the other variables (e.g. meridional wind, relative humidity, etc) from previous wind speed?

Ming Chen

Re: Editing/changing wind speed input

Post by Ming Chen » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:57 pm

You can always modify the data using the utility provided here:
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTut ... wrf_nc.php

I am not sure of your 2nd question. Do you mean to keep other variables unchanged?
WRF Help Desk

jbasconcillo

Post by jbasconcillo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:57 am

Hi, Ming Chen:

I supposed that if I change only T2M then if I did not change RHUM then possibly, the RHUM will still have the original effect of T2M because they are related. Is that correct?

Ming Chen

Post by Ming Chen » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Yes that is correct. Also, once you change temperature, then geopotential height should be changed, too, which will lead to changes in wind field. This is a series of loop and you need to be cautious.
WRF Help Desk

Return to “Meteorological Input Data”