Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

GSW and GLW problem when wrf compiled as vortex following nest

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

windysun02

Dear all,

I'm having problem with setting/using WRFV4.0 to simulate a supertyphoon, the problem is the long-wave and short-wave radiation (GLW, GSW) in the wrfout is sometimes all zero for D02.

There were 3 domains in my WRF experiment:D01(27km resolution static grid), D02(9km resolution static grid), D03(3km resolution vortex-following grid):
Domain.PNG

The problem is the long-wave and short-wave radiation computed in WRF D02(Variable name: GLW, GSW) are sometimes all zero, this happened only when WRF was compiled as vortex following nesting (choose 3 when configure), when I choose a basic static nesting (choose 1 when configure), everthing was ok.

I plotted the GLW and GSW at 2018-10-23_01:00:00 UTC, at this point of time, my WRF domains are in the daytime, but the GSW and GLW of D02 are both all zero.
GLW_problem.png

GSW_problem.png

This problem happened randomly as I plotted the GLW and GSW at 2018-10-23_02:00:00 UTC, everything was ok. In other words, the GLW all zero problem of D02 happened randomly in the time series of wrfout_d02 when WRF compiled as vortex following nest.

GLW_noproblem.png

GSW_noproblem.png

I tried to set different radiation scheme in WRF, but it didn't work. I've met this problem since WRF v3.9, after updating to v4.0, the problem is still there. Is there any workarouds?

Attached is my namelist.input.

View attachment namelist.input

This post has been moved from the "dynamics and numerics" section of the forum, to this section for Special Running Options since this is specific to Vortex Following. Someone will respond to your post soon.

Difu,
I wonder whether you can rerun this case using WRFv4.2? Please compile WRFV4.2 in dmpar mode.
If WRFV4,2 still has the same problem, please send me your namelist.wps, namelist.input and let me know what data you use to drive the model. It will also be helpful to tell me information about your compiler.
Thanks.

Ming Chen said:
Difu,
I wonder whether you can rerun this case using WRFv4.2? Please compile WRFV4.2 in dmpar mode.
If WRFV4,2 still has the same problem, please send me your namelist.wps, namelist.input and let me know what data you use to drive the model. It will also be helpful to tell me information about your compiler.
Thanks.

Ming,
Thank you for your reply.
I've searched the WRF release page, the latest released version of WRF is V4.1, is there any access to unreleased version V4.2? or should I just rerun my case using WRF V4.1?

Difu

Hi everyone,

I've found the solution. The problem is caused by the high-resolution terrain and landuse input, after delete these two lines from namelist.input, the problem is solved:

input_from_hires = .false., .false., .true.,
rsmas_data_path = '/vol7/home/sundifu14/data/terrain_and_landuse/SurfaceFiles'

Thanks for your suggestions.