Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

em_quarter_ss simulation with own sounding providing messy vertical wind patterns

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

kamalmcs

Hi,

I am trying to simulate 3-D quarter-circle shear supercell simulation with my own input sounding data. My output vertical velocity plot looks messy. I run my simulation with the default input sounding data and got the same kind of plot when I increased the number of grid boxes from the default 42 to 162 and run for three hours. I used the default namelist variables except for grid the number of grid boxes along east-west and north-south directions. I applied vertical dumping option, used 6th order diffusion option, changed dumping coefficient but failed to solve the problem. I am enclosing my simulation output and looking forward to your help to sort this put.

Thanks in advance,
Mostofa

Attachments

• default_data.png
    default_data.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 771
  • own_sounding_data.png
    own_sounding_data.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 769
Did you every get an answer for this?

It doesn't appear to me that anything is wrong with your simulation. There is some noise in the W field but it's not much more than in the control case.

Dave Nolan

Mostofa,
Can you change the mp_physics to WSM3 and see whether the problem is gone? We found a bug in recently in Kessler scheme and we are trying to fix this issue.I am not sure whether this is the reason for the messy vertical velocity.