Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

wrf.exe error

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

fipoucat

I am running wrf4 and getting error with real.exe:

call ftuv phot initialization
ftuv_init: calling photo_inti for id = 1
Timing for Writing wrfout_d01_2018-10-20_00:00:00 for domain 1: 4.12488 elapsed seconds
d01 2018-10-20_00:00:00 Error trying to read metadata
d01 2018-10-20_00:00:00 File name that is causing troubles = ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
d01 2018-10-20_00:00:00 ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
d01 2018-10-20_00:00:00 Error trying to read metadata
d01 2018-10-20_00:00:00 You can try 1) ensure that the input file was created with WRF v4 pre-processors, or
d01 2018-10-20_00:00:00 2) use force_use_old_data=T in the time_control record of the namelist.input file
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 324
---- ERROR: The input file appears to be from a pre-v4 version of WRF initialization routines

I then tried to add force_use_old_add but also get an error:

wrf.exe : forrtl: severe (66): output statement overflows record, unit -5, file Internal Lis

hope help to solve this.

-------------------------------------------

Please rerun real.exe using the WRFV4.0 version. We don't recommend using the 'old' wrfinput and wrfbdy files produced by earlier version of WRF when running WRFV4.0.

Thank you, but my concern is I am running version 4.0.1 and real.exe which generated the bdy and input files are from the same version?

I'll try to rerun all steps starting with WPS metgrid.exe till wrf.ee to see if the same error will appear again and report back.

Cheers

I am having the same problem:
I run WPS (compiled with netcdflibversion=4.6.1|hdf5libversion=1.10.1)
I use VTable.GFS and GEOGRID.TBL.ARW_CHEM
the TITLE of the MET_EM produced is OUTPUT FROM METGRID V4.0
when I run wrf (with chem_opt=401)
d01 2015-08-15_00:00:00 Error trying to read metadata
d01 2015-08-15_00:00:00 File name that is causing troubles =
d01 2015-08-15_00:00:00
d01 2015-08-15_00:00:00 You can try 1) ensure that the input file was created with WRF v4 pre-processors, or
d01 2015-08-15_00:00:00 2) use force_use_old_data=T in the time_control record of the namelist.input file
---- ERROR: The input file appears to be from a pre-v4 version of WRF initialization routines
If I set up use_old_data=T

Timing for Writing wrfout_d01_2015-08-15_00:00:00 for domain 1: 2.52302 elapsed seconds
and it crush there.

Could you solved it?

For WRF-ARW, one shouldn't see such kind of errors if running both WRFv4 and WPS4. However, I am not sure of WRF-CHEM. I will move your post to wrf-chem forum and hope someone will be able to help with this issue.

Based on an output string full of ascii nulls and the overflow record complaint, I'll guess that the path to
an input file is too long, so it busts an array.

Can you post your input file?

Unfortunately, the problem remains.
Is another possible explanation for this error?
Which dataset do you recommend to be used as input to WPS (This error is ocurring with NCEP Final Analysis (GFS-FNL))
It could be a problem of compiling with netcdf4.6.1 with hdf5 1.10.1?

d01 2015-08-15_00:00:00 File name that is causing troubles = ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
d01 2015-08-15_00:00:00 ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
d01 2015-08-15_00:00:00 You can try 1) ensure that the input file was created with WRF v4 pre-processors, or
d01 2015-08-15_00:00:00 2) use force_use_old_data=T in the time_control record of the namelist.input file
--------------------------------------

-----

melisadr said:
I am running with chem_opt=0 because I don't know where the problem is and I wanted to reduce options to be able to debug better.
I've already tried to reduce the path. Now is 46 characters long, is it still too long?
Thanks in advance,

namelist.input.txt

I have found in the past that running WRF-Chem with chem_opt=0 is not the same as running WRF only - it is more complicated than that to switch off all the extra options in the namelist, and input files, that WRF-Chem requires over WRF.

I'd suggest compiling a WRF only executable, and testing that that works okay. Once you have got the WRF only executable working, and so eliminated the chance that the problem is WRF-related, then you can try looking again at what WRF-Chem input files might be causing the problem.

I recompile without chemistry and the error persists

with both FNL_GFS and NNRP datafiles.
What is evaluated to determine if it is from a pre-v4 version? In what section of the code is that?
Will it be a problem to have compiled with netcdf4?
I do not know what else should I do honestly.
Any help?

Are you using the Intel compiler and its Intel 17.x or Intel 18.x? If so, it is possible the compiler
is generating bad code. STAMPEDE2/TACC triggers this a lot.

Try building the package with no optimization and see what happens.