Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

ACM2 PBL - RIBX never exceeds RIC (WRF v4.0)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

RobWaters

Hi everyone,

The problem is that running WRF over Mauritius with the ACM2 PBL consistently gives the following error at specific time steps:

Code:
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE:  <stdin>  LINE:     425
  RIBX never exceeds RIC, RIB(i,kte) =               NaN  THETAV(i,1) =    298.772705      MOL=  -56.7542229      TCONV =               NaN  WST =  -0.172837883      KMIX =            1  UST =  -0.103620365      TST =   -8.14218912E-03  U,V =   -2.70043015E-02   2.07631290E-02  I,J=          57          30
-------------------------------------------

I've noticed a few posts online about a similar issue but no solution suggested really. Upgrading your WPS has been suggested but I am using the latest WRF v4.0 and the latest WPS.

Namelist is attached, if you need any more info., let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Attachments

• namelist.input
    5.8 KB · Views: 74
Hi,
Can you also attach your namelist.wps file, along with your running log/error files (e.g., rsl.out.0000 and rsl.error.0000)?

Thanks,
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the response.

Attached is the files you asked for. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• RIBX_error.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
Hi,
Thank you for sending those. Can you do a test using a different surface-layer scheme (e.g., MYJ) to see if it makes a difference? Let me know what you find.

Thanks,
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm testing every PBL scheme and this is the only one with the issue.

It's not too much of an issue my side but thought it was important to highlight the issue which consistently happens with scheme.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,
I'm glad to hear that it doesn't cause too many problems for you, and I appreciate your update, as this may, indeed, help a future WRF user with the same problem.

Thanks,
Kelly