Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Aerosol climatology file with aer_opt=2

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

zhulimin

Hello everyone,
I saw an explanation about the Aerosol-aware Thompson Scheme on the WRF users page, and learned about the aerosol climatology data . At the same time,i saw the Aerosol-aware Thompson Scheme with aer_opt=3. Thus, I want to know if this aerosol climatology file refers specifically to when aer_opt=3? If this is the case, then I want to know whether the difference in aer_opt will lead to different aerosol climatology data? And does anyone know how to get this data when aer_opt=2.
Also, I didn't see the explanation about J. A. Ruiz-Arias method with aer_opt=2, so I want to ask if anyone knows this method?
Thanks!

I think aer_opt = 2 was used by the contributor applying daily aerosol data, not climatology, although if such a climatology exists, it probably can be used. And yes, the climatology can be different. Our aer_opt = 1 uses aerosol climatology from the 90s. Thompson's is obtained from global model simulations from 2001-2007. It looks like the input data (variables, and aerosol types) are different too, at least between aer_opt = 1, and 2/3.

The following paper may have a bit more information:
Ruiz-Arias, J.A., Dudhia, J., Lara-Fanego, V., Pozo-Vázquez, D. (2013b) A geostatistical approach for producing daily Level-3 MODIS aerosol optical depth analyses, Atmospheric Environment, Vol. 79, pp 395 – 405. doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2013.07.002.
The first author (the contributor for this option) gave a talk in the 2012 WRF workshop, and one more in 2015.
Hope these information are helpful.

Thank you for your message! The information is helpful!
In addition,I want to ask if you know how to get the distribution of specific aerosols in specific areas with WRF, such as sea salt aerosols.This is very important to my current research, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks!

Unfortunately we don't have such information. I know that very often people get aerosols information from simulations of chemistry models.