Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

artifacts when using a different SST dataset

rjhall

I am using ERA5 surface and pressure level data and the NOAA OI SST data for initialising the run. I have regridded the OI data onto the ERA5 grid, so as to match exactly, and have converted the netcdf files to grib using python cfgrib. However, I am getting some sort of artifact in the SST field. This is the Pacific, Japan is clear to the left, the artifacts are mainly lower right. APrt from this, the SST field looks to be correct. Attached is a screenshot of SST from a met_em file, generated using ERA5 surface and pressure level data and OI SST, interpolated to an ERA5 grid. I am not sure what is causing this.

Attachments

• met_em_screenshot_SST.png
    met_em_screenshot_SST.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 4
Are you able to plot just the SST intermediate file? To do this, you could use the rd_intermediate.exe program found in the WPS/util directory. Check to make sure everything looks okay in that file.

Thank you. Yes the intermediate file plots correctly. I have found that it is an interpolation issue and having changed the interpolation I now get satisfactory results