Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

auxinput4 error on wrf.exe (ecmwf hres)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

dynames

Hi there,
I'm running a simulation using ECMWF HRES data with 1 hour intervals. Simulation is successful when run without sst_update option. With that option enabled I get fatal error saying there is a problem with auxinput4. Below is output from rsl.out.0000:
Code:
DYNAMICS OPTION: Eulerian Mass Coordinate
 alloc_space_field: domain            1 ,               22414100  bytes allocated
med_initialdata_input: calling input_input
 Input data is acceptable to use: wrfinput_d01
Timing for processing wrfinput file (stream 0) for domain        1:    1.41105 elapsed seconds
Max map factor in domain 1 =  1.00. Scale the dt in the model accordingly.
INPUT LandUse = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH"
 LANDUSE TYPE = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH" FOUND          33  CATEGORIES           2  SEASONS WATER CATEGORY =           17  SNOW CATEGORY =           15
INITIALIZE THREE Noah LSM RELATED TABLES
Skipping over LUTYPE = USGS
 LANDUSE TYPE = MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH FOUND          20  CATEGORIES
 INPUT SOIL TEXTURE CLASSIFICATION = STAS
 SOIL TEXTURE CLASSIFICATION = STAS FOUND          19  CATEGORIES
Timing for Writing /data/wrfout_d01_2020-03-01_00:00:00 for domain        1:    2.18078 elapsed seconds
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE:  <stdin>  LINE:     316
Possibly missing file for = auxinput4

What I am doing is:
-Single domain, no nesting
-Choose MODIS 20 class with lakes
-Obtain 3 different GRIB files (pressure levels, surface, sst)
-Run ungrib for each of them separately with right prefixes. First PL, SFC, then SST
-Run avg_tsfc.exe to obtain TAVGSFC
-Edit metgrid section of the namelist with the prefixes and TAVGSFC for the constants.
-Run metgrid
-Add these to namelist.input:
Code:
&time_control
io_form_auxinput4   = 2
auxinput4_inname    = “wrflowinp_d<domain>”
auxinput4_interval = 60, 360, 360,/
&physics
sst_update = 1
/
-Run real
-wrflowinp_d01 is obtained with varying SST values
-Run wrf.exe however got the error:
Code:
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE:  <stdin>  LINE:     316
Possibly missing file for = auxinput4

How can I solve this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Would you please upload your entire namelist.input for me to take a look? which version of WRF are you running?

Ming Chen said:
Would you please upload your entire namelist.input for me to take a look? which version of WRF are you running?
Here I'm attaching my namelist.input file. I am using WRF V4.1.5

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.3 KB · Views: 91
Hi,
I believe this is a typo issue. Please manually add the line below to your namelist.input:

auxinput4_inname = "wrflowinp_d<domain>"

Specifically, the " " must be correct.

Please let me know whether this can solve your issue.

Ming Chen said:
Hi,
I believe this is a typo issue. Please manually add the line below to your namelist.input:

auxinput4_inname = "wrflowinp_d<domain>"

Specifically, the " " must be correct.

Please let me know whether this can solve your issue.

Thank you, it worked with your correction. I copied the line from WRF User Guide so thats why it had the weird quotes.
Could I possibly ask 2 more questions?
1- What is the behaviour of WRF for lakes when TAVGSFC and sst_update are used together? Which one is used for the final sst field over the lake?
2- I've plotted SST field of the wrfout file however only on the 01 UTC of every day there are varying SST values over land. On other timesteps SST values over land are zero. What might be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Please see my answers below:
1- What is the behaviour of WRF for lakes when TAVGSFC and sst_update are used together? Which one is used for the final sst field over the lake?
When you run TAVGSFC, you obtain daily average TSK and use that as the initial TSK over water points. If sst_update =0, TSK over water points will remain unchanged (i.e., will always be the value produced by TAVGSFC)
However, if you set sst_update=1, then at the specified times of sst update, TSK over the water points will be replaced by SST in wrflowinp.

2- I've plotted SST field of the wrfout file however only on the 01 UTC of every day there are varying SST values over land. On other timesteps SST values over land are zero. What might be the problem?

Are you running the case with sst_update =1? If so, What is the interval for sst_update? Please send me your namelist.input to take a look.

Hello,
Thanks for the answers. Yes I am running it with sst_update=1. SST interval is 1 hours, same as PL and SFC data. My namelist.input file is the same I uploaded before on this post. I did a simulation without sst_update but there were still SST values over land.

Ming Chen said:
Hi,
When you run TAVGSFC, you obtain daily average TSK and use that as the initial TSK over water points. If sst_update =0, TSK over water points will remain unchanged (i.e., will always be the value produced by TAVGSFC)
However, if you set sst_update=1, then at the specified times of sst update, TSK over the water points will be replaced by SST in wrflowinp.

Are you running the case with sst_update =1? If so, What is the interval for sst_update? Please send me your namelist.input to take a look.

Edit: I removed TAVGSFC from constants and now its working fine. Do I need to run avg_tsfc.exe before ungribbing the PL data and after ungribbing SFC data?
dynames said:
Hello,
Thanks for the answers. Yes I am running it with sst_update=1. SST interval is 1 hours, same as PL and SFC data. My namelist.input file is the same I uploaded before on this post. I did a simulation without sst_update but there were still SST values over land.

Ming Chen said:
Hi,