Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

big differences between using option "modis_15s_lake" and "modis_30s_lake"

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

JasonXu

Dear all,

I am about to setup a simulation over China using the WRF / WPS version 4.1. I plan to use new LANDUSEF 'modis_15s_lake' to replace 'modis_30s_lake' but found big differences between them.

To run geogrid I use the following input data:
modis_landuse_20class_15s_with_lakes,
modis_landuse_20class_30s_with_lakes

My namelist.wps is the following:
geog_data_res = 'modis_15s_lake+30s+default',
geog_data_res = 'modis_30s_lake+30s+default'

I attach a figure showing the landuse and lu_index variables from two outputs geo_em.d01.nc.
Are the differences reasonable? which option is better for me?

I will be happy to provide additional information.
Thank you in advance and best regards,

Jason

Attachments

• plt_geo_new.30s.pdf
    23.7 MB · Views: 90
  • plt_geo_new.15s.pdf
    19.2 MB · Views: 116
Jason,
I looked at the two plots and I agree that they are quite different. However, these plots are just for fraction of a specific type. Can you upload the plots for lu_index for me to take a look?
We are aware of the differences between the two datasets. Based on our experience in North America, the 15s dataset is more organized and better represents the 'real' lands type, while the 30s dataset shows noisy structure.

Hi Ming,
Thank you for your help.
The attachments are two plots for "LU_INDEX".

Best wishes
Jason

Attachments

• plt_geo_lu.15s.pdf
    99.9 KB · Views: 90
  • plt_geo_lu.30s.pdf
    106.1 KB · Views: 101
Hi Jason,
The two plots show that the land use type ranges between 1-24. MODIS landuse is within 1-21. Please confirm you did run with MODIS data.