Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Building WRF on NERSC facility(Cori and Edison)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

netkasal

Dear all

I would like to build and run WRF on NERSC super computing facility. I have been trying to figure out the right combination of compilers to run build(and compile the model). But without success.

Can you please help with the right combination of compilers and libraries required to run the model? ANd if someone has already run the model on these facilities, can you please let me know the location of the input files required so that I don't have to download again.

Thank you
Netsanet

We have no access to NERSC super computer, which makes it hard for us to figure out the options necessary for building WRF. Please take a look at this document https://www.nersc.gov/assets/Uploads/HelenHe-ClimateApplications-Mar2016.pdf. Probably you can find helpful information or support.

Hi Netsanet...

I see from the NERSC web pages that CORI is a Cray XC40 and EDISON is a Cray XC30.

I've ran WRF with no problems on a Cray XC30 a few years ago. I really love its performance. Yours
should be fine, though 64gb of memory per node might be skimpy. I've not used a Cray XC40.

You'll want the Intel compiler, which is more or less the standard. I've never run the Portland compiler on
WRF anywhere. Most system do not install it.

If configured, you'll want to check out hyperthreading. I had superior results using HT. Runs were in support
of the NOAA Hazardous Weather Testbed (HWT) experiment.