Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Can not use more than one node when running one way nested simulations

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

ragvilla

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to run a two-domains one-way nested simulation run with WRF v4.3 and using ERA5 as forcing. My simulation runs just fine when only using one node with 32 procs (max nprocs per node). However, when I increase the number of nodes (e.g. 2 nodes), model crashes at the first timestep. I have tried using 2 nodes with varying numbers of procs each (e.g., 32, 24, 16, 2) without success. However, when using one single node with as little as 2 procs (I know this should not be done because of my domains size), the model starts solving the timesteps just fine. I must also say that these errors do not happen when running a single domain simulation, in this case I can use more than one node without any problem.

Domain 1 is 301 x 301 and Domain 2 is 301 x 301 as well.

What can be done to fix this?

Attached files are a figure of the domains, my namelist.input and the 64 rsl.errors and 64 rsl.outs zipped in a tar file

Cheers,

Ricardo

Attachments

• topo.PNG
    topo.PNG
    58.2 KB · Views: 79
  • namelist.input
    3.9 KB · Views: 5
  • rsl_logs.tar
    620 KB · Views: 5
Hi,
Can you try to run the default namelist set-up to see if the same issue happens? I'm curious whether this is specific to your case. In case you no longer have that namelist. I'm attaching it here, along with the default namelist.wps file that matches it (you'll need to re-run WPS, as well). Thanks.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    3.7 KB · Views: 9
  • namelist.wps
    705 bytes · Views: 4