Can WPS Static Geographical Data Affect WRF Precipitation Results?

ry jin

New member
I’m wondering whether the static geographical data used in WPS can affect the precipitation results of a WRF simulation. I ran simulations using different static geographical datasets and noticed that the precipitation results are indeed different.
 
Different static data may affect various fields and leads to differences in model results. This is a common feature in numerical studying.
 
Different static data may affect various fields and leads to differences in model results. This is a common feature in numerical studying.
Thank you for the explanation! I have one more question. Do I need to choose or modify the static geographical data according to my simulation domain, or is it generally fine to use the default geographical data provided with WPS?
I had always used the default geographical data in my previous WRF simulations. It was only recently, after changing the geographical data, that I noticed there could be differences in the precipitation results. So I’m wondering whether I should use different geographical datasets depending on the simulation domain.
 
No, you don't need to change the static input data. The default data used by WPS are based on i-situ and satellite remote sensing observations. They are taken as 'true' condition of terrain height, vegtype, etc.

You only need to change them when you need to run sensitivity experiments.
 
Back
Top