Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Canopy Calculations

mgakinsola

Good Day everyone,
Please I will like to know how the Canopies (SLUCM, BEP, BEPBEM) calculate Surface Temperature and give to WRF. I want to know how the URBAN canopy model calculate the TSK (Skin Surface Temperature) and sends to WRF. I two simulations using BEP and BEPBEM but the TSK for both are nearly the same, since BEPBEM takes care of anthropogenic heating, I expect to see a huge increase in the surface Temperature than the BEP

Last edited:
The following three papers describe in detail the urban canopy physics related to UCM and BEP/BEM:

(1) Chen, F., H. Kusaka, R. Bornstain, J. Ching, C.S.B. Grimmond, S. Grossman-Clarke, T. Loridan, K. Manning, A. Martilli, S. Miao, D. Sailor, F. Salamanca, H. Taha, M. Tewari, X. Wang, A. Wyszogrodzki, and C. Zhang, 2011: The integrated WRF/urban modeling system: development, evaluation, and applications to urban environmental problems. International Journal of Climatology, 31, 273-288. DOI: 10.1002/joc.2158. doi:10.1002/joc.2158

(2) Salamanca, F., and A. Martilli, 2010: A new building energy model coupled with an urban canopy parameterization for urban climate simulations––part II. Validation with one dimension off–line simulations. Theor. Appl. Climatol., 99, 345–356.
doi:10.1007/s00704-009-0143-8
PDF

(3) Martilli A, Clappier A, and Rotach M.W., 2002: An urban surface exchange parameterization for mesoscale models. Bound.-Layer Meteorol., 104, 261–304.
doi:10.1023/A:1016099921195

Dear Experts
I saw from the paper for SLUCM( sf_urban_physics =1 ) that the surface temperature for roof, wall and road are estimated by the surface energy budget through the ground heat flux. However, i am still not clear how noah lsm solves the surface temperature when sf_urban_physics =0 .

Please take a look at the code phys/module_sf_noahdrv.F, in which you can find

SUBROUTINE lsm(DZ8W,QV3D,P8W3D,T3D,TSK, ...)

This is where TSK is calculated. I would suggest that you read both the paper and the code to understand how TSK is calcumated in land surface model.

This is for Noah LSM. If you use other LSM schemes like NoahMP, RUC, etc, you can find corresponding information in the codes for those schemes.