Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Changing a parameter in a cumulus Physics scheme

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Dear WRF experts,

I want to change a parameter inside the KF cumulus scheme in WRF. I am using the WRF version 4.

In this directory, there are two physics scheme module for KF. One is in f90 and F.
Questions;

[1] Which of these two files should I edit?

[2] I want to change the value of the Maximum turbulent kinetic energy (TKE) in the sub cloud layer.
I cant find this parameter in the module_cu_kf.F. Is there an online documentation of the different variables inside the fortran code?

[3] If I change any constant value in the cumulus scheme. Do I have to recompile wrf again for this to take effect?

[4] Is there an online documentation or tutorial about changing the values inside a particular scheme?

I'll appreciate any help regarding this.

Sincerely,
Lyndz

Lyndz,
Please see the answers below to your questions:
[1] Which of these two files should I edit?

You need to modify .F code

[2] I want to change the value of the Maximum turbulent kinetic energy (TKE) in the sub cloud layer.
I cant find this parameter in the module_cu_kf.F. Is there an online documentation of the different variables inside the fortran code?

No. There are too many variables and it is impossible for us to provide documents for them

[3] If I change any constant value in the cumulus scheme. Do I have to recompile wrf again for this to take effect?

Yes, you need to recompile the code. Just type ./compile em_real, which will recompile the code you modified.

[4] Is there an online documentation or tutorial about changing the values inside a particular scheme?
No.