Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Compilation error - module files

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

rlammers

I'm compiling WRF on Ubuntu 18.04. I'm doing a serial compilation but the compiler is still having trouble finding module files.

I'm not sure if the module_utility.o file is being created correctly:
Code:
module_utility.o" AR="INTERNAL_BUILD_ERROR_SHOULD_NOT_NEED_AR"

Then, the module_state_description.F file is not being found/created:

Code:
Makefile:183: recipe for target 'module_state_description.F' failed
make[2]: [module_state_description.F] Error 137 (ignored)
rm -f module_state_description.o
/lib/cpp -P -nostdinc -I/home/rodlammers/Build_WRF/WRF/inc -DEM_CORE=1 -DNMM_CORE=0 -DNMM_MAX_DIM=2600 -DDA_CORE=0 -DWRFPLUS=0 -DIWORDSIZE=4 -DDWORDSIZE=8 -DRWORDSIZE=4 -DLWORDSIZE=4 -DNONSTANDARD_SYSTEM_SUBR  -DWRF_USE_CLM  -DNETCDF -DUSE_ALLOCATABLES -Dwrfmodel -DGRIB1 -DINTIO -DKEEP_INT_AROUND -DLIMIT_ARGS -DBUILD_RRTMG_FAST=1 -DCONFIG_BUF_LEN=65536 -DMAX_DOMAINS_F=21 -DMAX_HISTORY=25 -DNMM_NEST=0  -I. -traditional-cpp   module_state_description.F  > module_state_description.bb
cpp: error: module_state_description.F: No such file or directory
cpp: warning: ‘-x c’ after last input file has no effect
cpp: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.

I've attached my configure and log.compile files. Is there some configure setting I'm missing? I appreciate any help you can give me.

Attachments

• configure.wrf
    20 KB · Views: 72
  • log.compile
    889 KB · Views: 89
Hi,
Based on your directory name (Build_WRF), I assume that you are following the online compilation tutorial (http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/compilation_tutorial.php)? If so, were you able to successfully pass all tests?

Some other thoughts:

1) If using the above tutorial, and you followed the instructions to set your paths, did you happen to close the terminal window prior to trying to build the code? If so, and if you didn't set the paths in one of your environment scripts (e.g., .cshrc), then the paths were probably not set anymore when trying to configure/compile.

2) Based on the print-out at the top of your compile log, it looks like you may be using a virtual box to compile this?
Code:
Linux rodlammers-VirtualBox 4.15.0-36-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 24 16:19:09 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Because virtual boxes are cross-mounted with another system, it's possible that your other system has some environment settings that are overriding the settings in your virtual machine. Unfortunately because of the issues with dual-booting and virtual machines, we aren't able to fully support those builds. This may be something you need to discuss with your systems administrator at your institution to see if they can help with this.

Thanks for your reply. I am following the online tutorial and did pass all the tests. I made sure to set all the path's, and to reset them if I close and reopen the terminal. I am using VirtualBox so that might be the source of the problem. Thanks again!

Let us know if you're able to resolve the problem. It may be helpful to other users in the future. Thanks!

I did confirm that it is a problem with running Linux through VirtualBox. I dual-booted Linux on my laptop and was able to compile WRF.

Good day! I am struggling to compile WRF in an AWS Ubuntu instance and the log file shows the same fatal errors related in this post, that's why I decided to post my issue here. I have builded WRF successfully many times in Linux/Ubuntu environment, but these Fatal errors I have never met before.
Since AWS instances are virtual machines, I wonder if this would be the motive of the fatal errors. If so, how can I build the model in these AWS instances. Have anyone worked on this before?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• log.compile
    990.6 KB · Views: 72
Hi udotski,
Instead of trying to troubleshoot this, it may be easier if you just use a preconfigured environment we have available on AWS as a public Amazon Machine Image (AMI). This is version 4.1.2 of WRF, and includes WPSV4.1, along with NCL, RIP, and WPS_GEOG static data. It also has X11 set-up, so that if you include "-X" in the SSH command when you get into your instance, you'll be able to use pop-ups for things like ncview, etc. The difference is that this is built on an EC2 Linux platform, instead of Ubuntu, but everything else should be the same. When you launch the instance, you can determine the The environment is set-up already and once you create an instance from the AMI, you can do anything you want to it - rebuild, change environment settings, etc. The AMI is public, and can be found in the US East (N. Virginia) region, and AMI ID is ami-04ab40ec0e3f64240. If you have questions about how to create an instance from from an AMI, you can roughly follow the guide here: http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/wrf_in_cloud_aws_tutorial_2019.php

This pretty much covers my compiling issues as well.
I'm on AWS Europe (Stockholm)eu-north-1 - Is it possible to obtain the AMI from here ?
Best regards
Jesper

Jesper,
Yes, it is possible. Take a look at documentation here for guidance on using an AMI from a different region:
https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/copy-ami-region/

Also, if you are following the tutorial in the link above, I'd recommend using this one now, instead - it's more up-to-date:
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/wrf_cloud_public/wrf_in_cloud_aws_tutorial.php