Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Compile WRFV4.2 in Cheyenne

MSdueon12

Hi Moderator,

I am trying to use WRF V4.2 and WPS 4.3 in Cheyenne HPC, because I have to change the code somewhere so I copy the tar files from /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/SOURCE_CODE.
Now I want to compile the WRF firstly but I got some error (please find the compile meaage in c.log), May I ask what is the problem or some other app I should install to prevent from these errors? I stall WRF and WPS under the direction /glade/scratch/zhouxu.

Appreciate your help.

Xu

Attachments

• c.log
    435.1 KB · Views: 4
Hi,
I'm not sure what the error in your c.log file means, and I can no longer find the directory /glade/scratch/zhouxu/WRFV4.2 on Cheyenne. Can you try again and keep the directory there for me to take a look? Let me know when you've tried again. Thanks!

Hello,
Thanks for your replying. This moment, I changed the WRF version to WRFV4.4 and WPS version to WPSV4.3. I am not able to compile WRF with Intel compiler, so I changed to GNU and compile WRFV4.4 successfully, even though I can't figure out why about Intel issue. However, when it comes to compile WPS, I am fail too, I choose "1" also added export WRF_DIR=/glade/scratch/zhouxu/WRFV4.4, and I got the compile file as attached. Thank you so much for you to help me about this problem.

Attachments

• compile.log
    385.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi,
I'm not sure what the error in your c.log file means, and I can no longer find the directory /glade/scratch/zhouxu/WRFV4.2 on Cheyenne. Can you try again and keep the directory there for me to take a look? Let me know when you've tried again. Thanks!
hello,
Just a quick check on the problem, when I follow the Library Compatibility Tests, I am stuck on
gfortran -c 01_fortran+c+netcdf_f.f
gcc -c 01_fortran+c+netcdf_c.c
gfortran 01_fortran+c+netcdf_f.o 01_fortran+c+netcdf_c.o \
-L${NETCDF}/lib -lnetcdff -lnetcdf
./a.out

I used the default module load in Cheyenne, which shows:
Currently Loaded Modules:

1) ncarenv/1.3 3) ncarcompilers/0.5.0 5) netcdf/4.8.1

2) intel/19.1.1 4) mpt/2.25

I appreciate your suggestion to solve this problem.

@xuzhou12,
Since you aren't modifying the code, can you just use the precompiled code on Cheyenne? If you go to

/glade/u/home/wrfhelp/PRE_COMPILED_CODE, you can see all the versions that are already pre-compiled for you. You can simply copy them to your working directory. For e.g.,

Code:
cp -r /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/PRE_COMPILED_CODE/WRFV4.4.1_intel_dmpar .

@xuzhou12,
Since you aren't modifying the code, can you just use the precompiled code on Cheyenne? If you go to

/glade/u/home/wrfhelp/PRE_COMPILED_CODE, you can see all the versions that are already pre-compiled for you. You can simply copy them to your working directory. For e.g.,

Code:
cp -r /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/PRE_COMPILED_CODE/WRFV4.4.1_intel_dmpar .
Thanks for your comment, as I have to modify codes for my research. I am not able to use the precompiled version. However, I found I can configure and compile in Casper HPC, but failed in Cheyenne, and I only have cpu hours in Cheyenne. I appreciate if you can help to figure it out.

Hi,
If you're able to compile WRF in Casper, but not Cheyenne, this means the issue is not specific to WRF. You will need to contact the CISL support group for help. There must be something with your environment settings that is causing the issue.

chmod doesn't seem to alter the permissions to allow me to edit namelist.input when I copy over the pre-compiled files. What can I do?

@sstrey
Look at my above response. This is a problem specific to your environment, and not WRF.
Thanks! It was actually because I copied the above path to WRF and got a linked directory. The better file path to copy the pre-compiled code from was /glade/work/wrfhelp/PRE_COMPILED_CODE/

@sstrey
Thanks! It was actually because I copied the above path to WRF and got a linked directory. The better file path to copy the pre-compiled code from was /glade/work/wrfhelp/PRE_COMPILED_CODE/
Thanks for letting me know. I've modified all the files in the /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/PRE_COMPILED_CODE directory so that they should now be able to be modified, but getting the code from /glade/work/wrfhelp/PRE_COMPILED_CODE is perfectly fine also!