config_do_DAcycling in MPAS

JiaWang

Member
When I am doing a restart simulation, I tested the config_do_DAcycling in the MPAS namelist: one simulation with "config_do_DAcycling=true", and the other simulation with "config_do_DAcycling=false". Then, the simulation results are different despite all other configurations and the restart file are the same.

There is no "da_state" stream in my simulation, and no DA.

I think the results should be identical.
 
Hi,

Are you running with MYNN PBL scheme? Please upload your namelist.atmosphere for me to take a look. Thanks.
 
My PBL scheme is config_pbl_scheme = 'bl_ysu'

I have attached the namelist with config_do_DAcycling = false. The other one just differs by config_do_DAcycling = true
 

Attachments

For a restart run, setting config_do_DAcycling = true will force a call to the atm_init_coupled_diagnostics routine, which is otherwise only called at the beginning of a cold-start simulation; see the logic in atm_mpas_init_block: MPAS-Model/src/core_atmosphere/mpas_atm_core.F at v8.4.2 · MPAS-Dev/MPAS-Model . The re-computation of theta_m, rho_zz, etc. in the atm_init_coupled_diagnostics routine will generally lead to bit-level differences in these fields compared with their values in the restart file.
 
Thanks.
My understanding is that "config_do_DAcycling=true" is required after using JEDI DA output to update some variables in restart.xxx.nc. Is it right?
 
Back
Top