Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Confusing messages when compiling with OpenMP

ruecuil

Hello,

I've noticed that in some occasions (and I do not know yet when) I see messages from the compilation script regarding the no compilation of OpenMP despite using the appropriate OpenMP flags. The messages are of the kinds of:
"COMPILING module tiles.F WITHOUT OMP"

I am compiling (dm+sm) with the following OpenMP flags for the Intel compiler:

Code:
OMPCPP          =        -D_OPENMP
OMP             =        -qopenmp -fpp -auto -qoverride-limits
OMPCC           =        -qopenmp -fpp -auto -qoverride-limits

This comes from WRF 4.4.2, although I think I've seen it with other versions.
if [ -n "-qopenmp -fpp -auto -qoverride-limits" ] ; then echo COMPILING module_tiles.F WITHOUT OMP ; fi ; \
timex mpiifort -c -real-size `expr 8 \* 4` -i4 -O0 -fno-inline -no-ip -ip -fp-model precise -w -ftz -align all -fno-alias -FR -convert big_endian -xHost -fp-model fast=2 -no-heap-arrays -no-prec-div -no-prec-sqrt -fno-common -I../dyn_em -I/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/external/esmf_time_f90 -I/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/main -I/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/external/io_netcdf -I/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/external/io_int -I/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/frame -I/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/share -I/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/phys -I/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/wrftladj -I/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/chem -I/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/inc -I/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/libs/oneapi/include module_tiles.f90 ; \
rm -f module_cpl_oasis3.G module_cpl_oasis3.bb
rm -f module_clear_halos.G module_clear_halos.bb
/home/WRF/WRFV4.4.1/tools/standard.exe module_comm_dm_3.bb | /lib/cpp -P -nostdinc -tr
aditional-cpp > module_comm_dm_3.f90
COMPILING module_tiles.F WITHOUT OMP

Could someone help me to understand why this is happening? Am I missing something else?

Last edited:
Hi,
Are you actually getting errors when compiling? The messages you're seeing could be misleading - meaning perhaps that particular section is not meant to be compiled with OMP, and it's just printing that out. If you're unable to compile, I'd like to see your configure.wrf file and your full compile log. Thanks!