Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Control run in WRF?

Is it possible to have a control run in WRF or WRF simulations give only forecasted results? I am trying to simulate a control run for 6 months using NOAH model in WRF. But I don't know weather outputs are right or wrong and it is taking a lot time at 36 cores (1 day of simulation output takes 8 hours). Is it possible to make it faster?

Attachments

• namelist.input
    3.7 KB · Views: 4
Is it possible to have a control run in WRF or WRF simulations give only forecasted results? I am trying to simulate a control run for 6 months using NOAH model in WRF. But I don't know weather outputs are right or wrong and it is taking a lot time at 36 cores (1 day of simulation output takes 8 hours). Is it possible to make it faster?
what's your domain over?

your dx/dy values are very very small you are going to have to use nesting

my domain is ranging between N 22°- 24° and E 82°- 84°. I want to run the simulation at 1km for the entire region to get the soil moisture.

The WRF model provides forecasted results. To obtain controlled data, you will need to compare your output with observations for the particular time period.

Regarding your domain, @William.Hatheway is correct that you most likely will need to use nesting. Unless your input data is extremely high resolution, you will need some outer (parent) domains to buffer between the coarse input data resolution and the 1km domain you would like to simulate. In addition to the namelist.wps best practice page that was provided earlier in this thread, you can find more information in the WRF User's Guide, or in this presentation from our WRF tutorial.