Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Correct value of timestep in WRF (CFL error related)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Dear WRF-experts,

I have some questions related to the CFL error in WRF:

[1] It is recommended that the timestep be equal to 6*dx, where dx is the horizontal resolution in km. I wonder where the "6" comes from.
Do you have documentation explaining why this value is recommended?

[2] I encountered a CFL error. Many online posts suggested reducing the time step. Indeed, when I reduced the timestep, WRF worked perfectly fine.
However, I wonder as to what extent one should reduce the time step?
Right now I am guessing the values of the time step. But I want to know if there is a more objective method on getting the correct timestep in a WRF run.

Sincerely,
Lyndz

Lyndz,

(1) Please see the document here https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/technote/v4_technote.pdf, Section 3.3 gives detailed description how to set the time step.

(2) Usually the time step is set to 6dx. In some cases for example over complex terrain or running with complex microphysics, time step can be reduced to 4dx. We won't recommend time step smaller than 3dx/