Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

diag_nwp2 option does not work

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

sekluzia

Dear Colleges,

I am trying to set diag_nwp2=1 new option of the WRFV4.1 in the &time_control section of my namelist.input file (attached), then the real.exe shows the following error:

------ ERROR while reading namelist time_control ------
Maybe here?: nwp_diagnostics = 1
Maybe here?: diag_nwp2 = 1
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 10943
ERRORS while reading one or more namelists from namelist.input.
-------------------------------------------
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 10943
ERRORS while reading one or more namelists from namelist.input.
-------------------------------------------

Can you look into this issue?

Best regards,
Artur

Attachments

• namelist.input.txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 58
Hi,
This option should be set in a section called "&diags" in the namelist.input file. You'll need to add that section:

Code:
&diags
diag_nwp2 = 1
/

Kelly

Dear Kelly,

I set this option following your recommendations (see the attached namelist file). However, the list of variables in my wrfout files is the same, and the Relative humidity is not available. The output of ncdump -h command is also attached (wrfout.txt)

Artur

Attachments

• wrfout.txt
    54 KB · Views: 63
  • namelist.input.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 53
Hi,
You will also need to add some other options to the &time_control section of your namelist in order to have the files output to aux stream 1. Take a look at the description here:
https://github.com/wrf-model/WRF/commit/c846d3b53a

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I added relevant records in &time_control section of my namelist (attached), but the output file produced by diag_nwp2 = 1(attached diag.nc file) does not contain relative humidity. Then, I tried to recompile the wrf with including (adding 'h') relative humidity in the Registry file (attached). The same result. The relative humidity is also absent my my main wrfout files.

Best regards,
Artur

Attachments

• Registry.EM_COMMON
    385.8 KB · Views: 59
  • namelist.input
    6.5 KB · Views: 59
  • diag.nc
    22.3 MB · Views: 52
I ran a test with a basic case and I am able to get all of the variables (including RH) when I set things correctly. The namelist.input file that you sent doesn't seem to be the correct one. There is no file that you're naming diag.nc, nor is there a &diags section in the namelist, where you would specify diag_nwp2. Can you send the correct one?

Thanks

Dear kwerner,

Please, I am also facing similar issue. I can't find relative humidity in my diag. file while other variables were listed. Attached is my namelist.input file. Kindly assist me.
Thanks

kwerner said:
I ran a test with a basic case and I am able to get all of the variables (including RH) when I set things correctly. The namelist.input file that you sent doesn't seem to be the correct one. There is no file that you're naming diag.nc, nor is there a &diags section in the namelist, where you would specify diag_nwp2. Can you send the correct one?

Thanks

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.1 KB · Views: 59
kwerner said:
Hi Catalyst26,
Can you let me know which version of the code you are using?

Dear kwerner,

Thanks for your response. I am using WRF4.0. Can you check my namelist.input and make corrections or send me the one you used that gave you relative humidity as part of the variables?

"DESCRIPTION OF CHANGES:
A few variables, including precipitable water, relative humidity, total rain, total liquid rain, and
potential temperature, are added to output files of traditional fields (wrf_trad_fields). PSFC is also
included. Since PSFC is updated every time step, it is not necessary to explicitly recalculate PSFC
in phys/module_diag_trad_fields.F. Instead, we simply add 'h1' stream to PSFC in Registry."

I got the above quoted sentences from the link you shared. Where and how do I add "h1" stream to PSFC in Registry because surface pressure (PSFC) was not listed too in the diagnostic file but it was found in the wrfout file as a variable?

Thanks and regards,

Catalyst

Attachments

• diags.nc
    8.1 MB · Views: 53
Catalyst26 said:
kwerner said:
Hi Catalyst26,
Can you let me know which version of the code you are using?

Dear kwerner,

Thanks for your response. I am using WRF4.0. Can you check my namelist.input and make corrections or send me the one you used that gave you relative humidity as part of the variables?

"DESCRIPTION OF CHANGES:
A few variables, including precipitable water, relative humidity, total rain, total liquid rain, and
potential temperature, are added to output files of traditional fields (wrf_trad_fields). PSFC is also
included. Since PSFC is updated every time step, it is not necessary to explicitly recalculate PSFC
in phys/module_diag_trad_fields.F. Instead, we simply add 'h1' stream to PSFC in Registry."

I got the above quoted sentences from the link you shared. Where and how do I add "h1" stream to PSFC in Registry because surface pressure (PSFC) was not compted too?

Thanks and regards,

Catalyst

Hi Catalyst26,

The new options for diag_nwp2 were not released until WRFV4.1. Additionally, there was a pretty important bug fix implemented in the latest release (V4.1.2). If you're interested in using this option, then I would suggest using that version of the code.

As for your namelist, you have this line in the &time_control section:
Code:
auxhist1_outname         = "diags.d01.2016-01-01_00:00:00"
That should be changed to:
Code:
auxhist1_outname         = "diags.d<domain>.<date>"

The code expects that exact format - it's not meant for you to fill in the domain and actual date you're using. Other than that, it looks okay.

To answer your question about the registry, you shouldn't need to do anything. If you're using the updated code, the registry is already modified for this change.

Hi,

I am interested in adding the RAIN (total rainfall) variable in the tslist for specified locations through activating the diag_nwp2 option. However, I would like to avoid outputting the diags.d<domain>.<date> files at every time-step (which is every one minute in my case). Can I do that?

Kind regards,
Artur

Artur,
You should be able to use the parameter
auxhist1_interval =
and set this to the interval you'd like to use. I believe it's in minutes.