Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

distribution of Linux for wrf

mina

Hi

What is the best distribution of Linux for installing and running wrf model?

Thanks,

Hello,
I don't know which one is the best, but at least I know the distribution that works for sure : Ubuntu 22.
The GNU compiler generates faster binaries than previous compiler versions, and you get all the basic system libraries needed by WRF.

Hello,
I don't know which one is the best, but at least I know the distribution that works for sure : Ubuntu 22.
The GNU compiler generates faster binaries than previous compiler versions, and you get all the basic system libraries needed by WRF.
Thank you for your response,

Thank you for your response,
Also if you can use intel compilers they are a little faster then GNU. At least in my experience. Just takes a little longer to install WRF then GNU

Also if you can use intel compilers they are a little faster then GNU. At least in my experience. Just takes a little longer to install WRF then GNU
Thank you. Do you recommend which distribution of linux like centos, rocky , Alma ,debian, ubuntu or suse is better for WRF model?

Thank you. Do you recommend which distribution of linux like centos, rocky , Alma ,debian, ubuntu or suse is better for WRF model?
Personally I prefer Ubuntu, I know the tutorials that NCAR has I believe are using Ubuntu.

Personally I prefer Ubuntu, I know the tutorials that NCAR has I believe are using Ubuntu.
Thank you. I didn't have any experience with Ubuntu. I used to work with Centos for running wrf ,and because of centos doesn't have any update, I am going to upgrade to another distribution of linux. so do you recommend to change Centos to Ubuntu?

Thank you. I didn't have any experience with Ubuntu. I used to work with Centos for running wrf ,and because of centos doesn't have any update, I am going to upgrade to another distribution of linux. so do you recommend to change Centos to Ubuntu?

If you are use to centos and want to use the commands you are familiar with then I would use Rocky Linux 9.

If you don't mind learning new commands then Ubuntu is fine too.

Really is up to you.

Alma Linux is recommended if you are using CentOS. I have updated my system to Alma Linux from CentOS. They are the same in core.

Basic requirements for WRF are listed below:

Generally, a UNIX-like OS is needed
• Linux, *BSD, macOS, AIX, etc.

Libraries
• MPI (OpenMPI, MPICH, etc.)
• zlib
• HDF5
• NetCDF4 (C + Fortran)

A POSIX shell and the usual programs:
• GNUMake,grep,awk,sed,cat,ranlib/libtool,etc.

Libraries
• zlib
• HDF5
• NetCDF4 (C + Fortran)

Thanks Ming! And is there a User Guide about WRF-V4.5 ?

Libraries
• zlib
• HDF5
• NetCDF4 (C + Fortran)

Thanks, Is there any difference between Linux distributions for insatlling and running WRF?