Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Does SLUCM urban model conserve the energy?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

jan1203

If I consider the radiation balance equation, I can compute the net radiation flux of surface from model outputs as
Q* = SWDNB - SWUPB + LWDNB - LWUPB
and the SUM (thermal balance of surface) should be 0 (the thermal flux into ground is defined as negative)
SUM = Q* + GRDFLX - HFX - LH
that is true for almost grid-points with a small residuum (~1W/m2), close to NOAHRES variable. But the problem is with grid-points containing urban LU when SLUCM is used, because there is the SUM sometimes with the residuum of several tens of W/m2. So my question is: Does SLUCM conserve the energy fluxes, or some variables (such as SWUPB and LWUPB) are not valid for urban LU?
Thanks, Jan

Jan,
The surface radiation is recalculated in urban models. If you look at the code "module_sf_urban.F", you will find the variables SSG,SSGD,etc, which are direct and diffusive radiation on flat surface. They are passed into the subroutine "urban" through the driver "module_sf_noahdrv.F". Radiation balance is then recalculated in the urban module. For more details, please take a look at the code.

Ming Chen