Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

dx and dy in namelist file

Chetan

Hello all,
I am new to wrf arw model. I have a confusion about dx and dy in namelist file. If I have 1 degree resolution grib data (GFS) than what should be the dx and dy in namelist.wps or namelist.input??
Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Chetan

dx,dy is the size of domain 1.
if it's set to 30000,30000 then its a 30km x 30km dimension

sorry, it's the grid resolution of the domain/s, so 30000 is a 30km grid resolution, etc

it's decided to the size of your research area,you can see the domain by input ncl util/plotgrids_new.ncl when finish namelist.wps setting

Thank you for the response.
My confusion is if i have GRIB data with 1-degree resolution. Then what should be the best dx/dy in my model??
Can I put any range of dx dy on the model??
For example, if i have a GFS 1 degree resolution GRIB data to initialize the WRF model, then can i choose any range of dx dy in my model??

There is no strict rule how to set the ratio between WRF grid intervals and resolution of the forcing data. Usually it is fine if the resolution of the forcing data is 6-8 times that of the WRF grid interval.

There is no strict rule how to set the ratio between WRF grid intervals and resolution of the forcing data. Usually it is fine if the resolution of the forcing data is 6-8 times that of the WRF grid interval.
Now i got it. Thank you very much.