Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Editing default vegetation type chosen for non-urban land in SLUCM

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

timchambers96

Hi, I'm tring to trying to run the single layer ucm to get a more accurate picture of my study cities. I've integrated the extra urban land use classes (31,32,33) and have been playing around with the FRC_URB for the different classes. I am getting warmer daytime temperatures with lower FRC_URBAN values and realise this is probably to to the non-urban land being assigned as grass (or similar) rather than trees (which is what it actually is in my cases). I've been trying to work out how to change this default vegetation (to forest) but can't seem to find a simple way.

If anyone has some ideas of a simple fix (or potentially more complex editing of the modules+some guidance) I'd really appreciate it!

Also, if someone knows whether this non-urban land is calculated by the ucm or by the lsm?

Thanks!

Tim

Tim,
If you look at the code module_sf_noahdrv.F, you can find the following piece of code:
Code:
           IF(SF_URBAN_PHYSICS == 1.OR. SF_URBAN_PHYSICS==2.OR.SF_URBAN_PHYSICS==3 ) THEN 
                IF( IVGTYP(I,J) == ISURBAN .or. IVGTYP(I,J) == LOW_DENSITY_RESIDENTIAL .or. &
                  IVGTYP(I,J) == HIGH_DENSITY_RESIDENTIAL .or. IVGTYP(I,J) == HIGH_INTENSITY_INDUSTRIAL) THEN 
                 VEGTYP = NATURAL
                 SHDFAC = SHDTBL(NATURAL)
                 ALBEDOK =0.2         !  0.2  
                 ALBBRD  =0.2         !0.2 
                 EMISSI = 0.98                                 !for VEGTYP=5
                 IF ( FRC_URB2D(I,J) < 0.99 ) THEN 
                   if(sf_urban_physics.eq.1)then
                     T1= ( TSK(I,J) -FRC_URB2D(I,J) * TS_URB2D (I,J) )/ (1-FRC_URB2D(I,J))
                   elseif((sf_urban_physics.eq.2).OR.(sf_urban_physics.eq.3))then
                     T1=tsk_rural_bep(i,j)
                   endif
                 ELSE 
                 T1 = TSK(I,J)
                 ENDIF
                ENDIF

I believe you can change the line "VEGTYP = NATURAL" for your case.