Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

em_real real.exe and wrf.exe fail to generate output (but no error message occurs)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

fang63

Good morning wrf users:

I am trying to generate the real case from rap model. It has successfully gone through geogrid, ungrib, and metgrib on WPS, the met_em files was correctly linked to the em_real folder under WRFV3. But when I tried to run real.exe and wrf.exe, they failed to generate the results. No error message occurred either. Could anyone have a look at it during their spare time? The namelist for WPS and WRFV3 are attached.

Best

Huan

root@breeze:/opt/WRFV3/test/em_real# ./real.exe
starting wrf task 0 of 1
root@breeze:/opt/WRFV3/test/em_real# ./wrf.exe
starting wrf task 0 of 1

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.4 KB · Views: 53
  • namelist.wps
    1.5 KB · Views: 55
Hi Huan,

You will not be able to run wrf.exe without a successful run of real.exe. Let's try to figure out what is going on with your real.exe run.

1) Which version of WRF are you running?
2) Did you compile wrf in serial mode or parallel (e.g., dmpar/smpar)? If you aren't sure, please send your configure.wrf file
2) Please issue the following from your running directory:
ls -ls met_em* >& log.met_files.txt
3) Will you please re-run this and send the results to a log file (e.g., ./real.exe >& log.real.txt)?

After that, please attach the configure.wrf, log.met_files.txt, and log.real.txt files. Thanks!

1). I am using WRFV3
2). not sure about the mode, I have attached configure.wrf here
3). I followed your instruction and attached the generated log files, log.real.txt is completely empty, not sure whether it would go through the system.

Attachments

• configure.wrf
    20.4 KB · Views: 61
  • log.met_file.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 60
Hi,

Thanks for sending those.

1) It looks like you compiled WRF in parallel mode, so you should be using an MPI command to run this, (e.g. mpirun -np 4 real.exe), where 4 is the number of processors you are choosing - you will need to work with your systems administrator to determine the exact command you should be using. When you run, you should receive an rsl.out and rsl.error file for each processor. Are you getting any rsl* files? If so, can you send those?
2) Can you also issue (in your running directory)
ls -ls >& running_dir.txt
and send that file?
3) Can you also get into your WRF/main directory and issue
ls -ls *.exe >& executables.txt
and send that file, as well?

Thanks!

Thank you for help!!

Yes, I will work with my systems administrator to determine the exact command for mpirun. Here I just paste the current rsl* files, running_dir.txt, and executables.txt.

Huan

Attachments

• executables.txt
    288 bytes · Views: 56
  • rsl.error.0000.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 55
  • rsl.out.0000.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 56
  • running_dir.txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 50
Hi,

Your rsl.error.0000 file is showing:
----------------- ERROR -------------------
namelist : num_metgrid_soil_levels = 4
input files : NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 (from met_em files).
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 739
Mismatch between namelist and global attribute NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS
-------------------------------------------

It looks like your met_em* files have 0 soil levels in them. What type of input data are you using?

You need to ensure that the data you have include soil temperature and soil moisture, and that you are using the correct Vtable that includes the appropriate code found in the gribbed input data file. You can use programs like g1print.exe/g2print.exe (found in the WPS/util/ directory) to take a look at the data. You may also have to contact the support/management group of the data if you are unclear about the data files.

does it mean I need to run g1print.exe?
and yes, I email NOAA, but they said they would reply after Aug 27

Huan

You can use the g1print.exe program to see what is included in your data. from the WPS/ dir you would type (for example):

./util/g1print.exe path_to_input_data/single_input_data_file

and it will create a listing of the fields, levels and dates of the data in the file. If your input data are grib2 data, you would follow the same procedure, but use g2print.exe, instead.