Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

ERA5 ensemble: Selecting member

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

wangevine

I want to use the ERA5 ensemble to drive WRF. From CDS, the ensemble members are all in a single GRIB (or netCDF) file. I can run WPS as usual on these files, and it works, but I don't see a way to select which ensemble member is being used. Probably it's just taking the first one it finds? I can imagine various tedious workflows to separate the members, but surely somebody has already come up with an elegant solution to this problem.
Wayne Angevine, CIRES/NOAA CSL

Hi Wayne,
I apologize for the delay. We're a little low on resources at the moment, so it's taking us longer to catch up on the forum posts. I'm reaching out to other colleagues to ask if they have any idea how to do this. In the meantime, it looks like this user has done something like what you're wanting to do. It may be worth reaching out to them to see if they can offer any advice.

Hi, I did solve the problem, thanks to Alice Crawford at NOAA ARL for the solution. I needed to use dataset "era5_reanalysis_complete", which allows specification of the member number. It can't be done from the web interface, which doesn't support that dataset. Can share the script with anyone else who needs it.

Hi,
That is great news! Yes, if you're able to share the script here, that would be perfect, as it could potentially help others in the future.