Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error in the namelist input file while compiling WRF [Solved]

Prachi

I tried installing WRF many times and while compiling i am facing error in the namelist file in em_real. Attaching input file and log file for reference.

Attachments

• compile.log
    135.2 KB · Views: 2
  • namelist.input
    3.8 KB · Views: 8
Heyyy

I did pasted this in my bash file and reinstalled the WRF, still the error persisted.
Is it that I have to first paste this in the bash file and then give the libraries path .
Does sequencing of things in bashfile affect the programming and run.

Heyyy

I did pasted this in my bash file and reinstalled the WRF, still the error persisted.
Is it that I have to first paste this in the bash file and then give the libraries path .
Does sequencing of things in bashfile affect the programming and run.
Good evening,

So you would have to reinstall all the libraries to with those flags and then build WRF after all the libraries are installed properly.

The order sadly does matter.

Thank you very much.
I will retry as suggested and will get back to you soon if something comes up.

Thank you very much for assistance.

Hey
I did try again with that you suggested but i again got some error. Already tried 4-5 times . Can you please list the solution again.
Sharing log file for reference.

Attachments

• compile.log
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Hey
I did try again with that you suggested but i again got some error. Already tried 4-5 times . Can you please list the solution again.
Sharing log file for reference.
did you reinstall all the libraries required for WRF using those flags? You cannot use any of the libraries already installed without those flags.

Yes
My libraries test did execute
And configuration of wrf I did using export NETCDF_classic=1
And then when compiled error came

Hey

I am again installing fresh and while installing mpich version i got recursive error in makefile. this might be the reason for error in WRF compilation. Attaching compile.log file for reference. Please rectify the issue in mpich file.

Thanks

Attachments

• config.log
    546.2 KB · Views: 2
@Prachi,
The error message in your compile log is not related to the namelist file. The first error I see (which is the one that is usually causing the issue), is

Code:
gfortran   -O2 -ftree-vectorize -funroll-loops -w -ffree-form -ffree-line-length-none -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4  -o wrf_io.o -O2 -ftree-vectorize -funroll-loops -w -ffree-form -ffree-line-length-none -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4  -I/home/honey/Build/LIBRARIES/netcdf/include -I../ioapi_share -c wrf_io.f
wrf_io.f:1498:36:

1498 |   CALL ext_ncd_open_for_read_begin( DatasetName, Comm1, Comm2, SysDepInfo, DataHandle, Status )
Error: Dummy argument ‘datasetname’ with INTENT(IN) in variable definition context (actual argument to INTENT = OUT/INOUT) at (1)
wrf_io.f:7454:58:

If your libraries were installed correctly and passed the tests, you shouldn't need to keep reinstalling everything. Before compiling WRF, did you make any modifications to the code, or are you using clean/pristine code? If pristine, the issue could likely be that you're using a newer version of GNU with older WRF code. I am also not able to compile WRFV4.0 when using GNU V11.2.0 or V12 (I don't have V11.3.0 available to me, but assume it may be similar). Since GNU is free, can you try to use an older version to compile WRFV4.0? Or, if you don't need to use WRFV4.0, I'd recommend using the latest version V4.5, with the GNUV11.3.0 compiler.

Hi
Based on your suggestions, I have recompiled WRF from scratch. Now, i am facing some other error.
Sharing compile.log file for reference.
Any assistance would be highly appreciated.
Using ubuntu 22.04 with gfortran 11.3

Attachments

• compile.log
    356.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hi
Based on your suggestions, I have recompiled WRF from scratch. Now, i am facing some other error.
Sharing compile.log file for reference.
Using ubuntu 22.04 with gfortran 11.3
Good evening,

Looking through your compile log I see a few argument mismatch errors:

Error: Rank mismatch between actual argument at (1) and actual argument at (2) (scalar and rank-3)
field_routines.f:158:52:

now that's an issue from the new gnu compilers. I have a little tutorial that might help with that. I have encountered that error many times.

Hi
I followed your suggestions and successfully installed WRF but now i am facing similar error while compiling ARWpost. The post processing utilities have been successfully configured but now i am facing problem in the compilation process. Sharing compile.log file for reference.

Thanks

Attachments

• compile.log
    11.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi
I followed your suggestions and successfully installed WRF but now i am facing similar error while compiling ARWpost. The post processing utilities have been successfully configured but now i am facing problem in the compilation process. Sharing compile.log file for reference.

Thanks
@Prachi So ARWpost is tricky. But the admins like keeping issues seperate so can you do two things.

1. Change the title of this thread to

Error in the namelist input file while compiling WRF (Solved)​

and I'll answer the question about ARWpost in the thread you opened.

@Prachi So ARWpost is tricky. But the admins like keeping issues seperate so can you do two things.

1. Change the title of this thread to

Error in the namelist input file while compiling WRF (Solved)​

and I'll answer the question about ARWpost in the thread you opened.
Done.

Thanks