Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error in `./wrf.exe': malloc(): smallbin double linked list corrupted: 0x000000000717db20

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.


New member
Hello, I'm running 3 domains over parts of the United States at 27, 9, 3 km respectively, and I'm using the Bias-Corrected CESM as forcing. I was able to run real.exe with no problem. However, when I run wrf.exe, it runs for no more than a few seconds before it stops running. I have attached my namelist file here...
View attachment namelist.input

as well as the files that had obvious errors in them. The rsl.error.0002 file says "problem with initial snow fields".
View attachment rsl.error.0002.txt

The following rsl.error.0006 file gives the following errors..." Error in `./wrf.exe': malloc(): smallbin double linked list corrupted: 0x000000000717db20" and "forrtl: error (76): Abort trap signal"
View attachment rsl.error.0006.txt

I'm really not sure what's going on here. Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm still trying to figure out the root and solution to the error I'm getting when i run the wrf executable. Maybe I should mention that I am using WRF 3.9.1. Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Ali,
I'd first like to apologize for the delay in response. I'm not sure how this was overlooked, but it certainly wasn't intentional. Thank you for the follow-up email so that I was notified again about this. Can you package all of your rsl* files into one *.tar file and attach that so that I can take a look at them?
Thanks for your response Kelly. I figured you were probably pretty busy too. At your convenience, I would appreciate hearing back from you. Thanks!


  • Ali_RSL.tar
    250 KB · Views: 58
Thanks for sending that. I was looking through your namelist and notice you have the bucket option turned on. That triggered my memory to a similar recent forum post. Can you take a look at this post and see if the Registry changes mentioned will help your case:

The modified Registry.EM_COMMON file attached there is for V4.0, so you won't want to use that one, but it should be pretty simple to just make the modifications to the Registry file. After that, you'll need to issue a 'clean -a' and then reconfigure and recompile the code. Then try to run again and let me know if that helps.

Hey Kelly,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I had another unrelated issue when I attempted to recompile. After I was able to successfully recompile on my HPC, and after I made the change in the Registry file you recommended, my simulation was able to complete. Thanks again for your help!