Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error: "Maybe this is a global domain, but the polar flag was not set in the bdy_control namelist."

sol015

Hello,

I am trying to run WRF 4.4 and get the error message "Maybe this is a global domain, but the polar flag was not set in the bdy_control namelist.".
I see this has been an issue for several before, but I could not see that it has been solved?

The issue occurred recently. I have done several runs previously with the same namelist.input and met_em files where it worked just fine. The issue occurred when I wanted to redo some of the simulations, only tweaking the initial moisture. The strange part is that I tried to redo several simulations. One worked and the other ones failed even though they had exactly the same namelist.input, real.exe, and wrf.exe file.

I have tried to set "polar=.false." in namelist.input. Then the error change to "Error in boundary condition specification".

I attached both the namelist and rsl.error for both error message.

Let me know if you need any more information from me. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• BoundarySpecification_rsl.error.0000.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 1
  • PolarFlag_namelist.input.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 3
  • BoundarySpecification_namelist.input.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PolarFlag_rsl.error.0000.txt
    24.4 KB · Views: 1
Please let me know more details off this case:
(1) is it a global run or regional run?
(2) What is your domain?
(3) Please upload your namelist.wps for me to take a look.
Thanks.

1) It would be a regional run, but I am using periodic_x for zonal boundaries, not nested.

2) Horizontal domain is 28 000km x 10 000km. The horizontal resolution is 20km and I use 61 eta levels for vertical. With the p_top_requested that gives me a height of about 30km

3) I not sure where to find this namelist.wps. I only use namelist.input and then real.exe to compile. I linked it in my first post, but had to make it a .txt file for it to properly upload to this page.

periodic lateral boundaries are often used for ideal case. if this is a real-data case, please switch to specified condition.

It seems that you didn't run WPS, please let me know if I am wrong.

For real data case, WPS must be run first to produce data for REAL program. For ideal case, WPS can be skipped.

Please clarify what case you are running.