Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

error message running real.exe

rjhall

Hi
I am new to WRF (and modelling). I managed to get the case studies running and then swapped ERA5 data for GFS in the case study and it still worked. However, when I change domains to the pacific all appears to be OK until I run real.exe when the message:
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 6241

troubles, could not find trapping x locations

-------------------------------------------

Abort(1) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 0

appears in the rsl.error file. I attach , together with the nameless files. I thought it might be having separate pressure level and surface data files for ERA5 but the same problem arises when I run ungrib separately for each as suggested in the user guide

Attachments

• namelist.wps
    674 bytes · Views: 1
  • namelist.input
    3.8 KB · Views: 3
  • rsl.error.0000
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
You successfully run this case using GFS but failed when using ERA5, right? Please let me know if I am wrong.

I wonder where you download ERA5 data? Note that ERA5 surface and upper level data are saved in different files. The error messages seems to indicate that you didn't get all the required variables from ERA5.

You successfully run this case using GFS but failed when using ERA5, right? Please let me know if I am wrong.

I wonder where you download ERA5 data? Note that ERA5 surface and upper level data are saved in different files. The error messages seems to indicate that you didn't get all the required variables from ERA5.
I ran the case study (hurricane Matthew) using GFS then ERA5, but then when I tried to use a different domain with ERA5 I get the error message. The ERA5 data are downloaded from Copernicus and are separate files for surface and pressure level data. This didn't appear to make any difference in the case study (hurricane Matthew). I have just tried again running ungrib separately for the pressure level and surface files, as suggested in the user guide, and the error message is the same.

I ran the case study (hurricane Matthew) using GFS then ERA5, but then when I tried to use a different domain with ERA5 I get the error message. The ERA5 data are downloaded from Copernicus and are separate files for surface and pressure level data. This didn't appear to make any difference in the case study (hurricane Matthew). I have just tried again running ungrib separately for the pressure level and surface files, as suggested in the user guide, and the error message is the same.
Hi,

If possible, you can try to download ERA5 from the NCAR RDA website. Don't forget to process the invariant data also.

Thesis definitely a data issue. Please see the attached file that shows how to download ERA5 from NCAR RDA. Please follow the instruction and get al data required by WRF. Then try again. Let me know if you still have issues to run WRF with ERA5.

Attachments

• ERA5_download_instruction.pdf
    539.2 KB · Views: 5