Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error occurred when I use ECMWF archived forecast data to run WRF

z2liao

Hello everyone,

I'm encountering issues while attempting to run the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model using ECMWF forecast data. Previously, I successfully ran WRF using GFS data without any problems, but this new situation has presented some challenges.

Issue with Pressure Level (PL) Data: While processing the PL part, I first link the PL files and then modify the namelist.wps to prefix = '3D'. However, I encounter an error stating, "Unknown Data Representation Type, ksec2(4)= 50". Upon investigation, I found that ksec2(4) relates to a grid type, which seems valid only for values 0-5. I'm unsure how to resolve this issue.

./link_grib.csh /public3/home/scb9701/ecdata/ECMWF_PL*
edit namelist.wps: prefix = '3D',
./ungrib.exe

1706692138195.png

Issue with Surface (SFC) Data: For the SFC part, I'm facing a different error: "ERROR: Grib2 file or date problem, stopping in edition num." This confuses me because my input file is in GRIB format, not GRIB2.

./link_grib.csh /public3/home/scb9701/ecdata/ECMWF_SFC*
edit namelist.wps: prefix = 'SFC',
运行ungrib: ./ungrib.exe

1706692123254.png
Could anyone with experience in handling ECMWF data in WRF provide some guidance or suggestions on how to fix these two problems? Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
where did you download the ECMWF forecast data? The error messages are more related to Vtable, which may not be working for your data.

where did you download the ECMWF forecast data? The error messages are more related to Vtable, which may not be working for your data.
Thank you for your reply. I downloaded EC data directly from ECMWF official website (requested MARS licence)