Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error when filtering variables that are saved in wrfout

llsalazardom

Good morning,
We want to reduce the number of variables that are saved in the wrfout, for that we included the variable iofields_filename in the namelist.input with the file my_file_d04.txt , but we got this warning in the rsl.error.0000.

'Domain 1 Resetting history stream 0 for aod_out'
' W A R N I N G : Unable to modify mask for *. Variable not found. File: my_file_d04.txt at line 1'

Can someone tell me what we are doing wrong, please?

I attached the namelist.input, rsl* and my_file_d04.txt.

Attachments

• my_file_d04.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 5
  • namelist.input
    6.4 KB · Views: 4
  • rsl.error.0000
    5.1 MB · Views: 1
Hi,
The reason why you are getting these warning messages is because the variables that are listed are not computed, based on the physics you are using. For e.g.,

Code:
W A R N I N G : Unable to modify mask for smcrel.  Variable not found. File: my_file_d04.txt at line            1

If you look in the Registry.EM_COMMON file, you will see the smcrel variable listed, but then if you look further below, you can see that it is specific to particular schemes (as part of their package). That particular variable is only output when you have either "sf_surface_physics = 2," or "sf_surface_mosaic = 1"

Code:
package   lsmscheme      sf_surface_physics==2 - state:flx4,fvb,fbur,fgsn,smcrel,xlaidyn

package   noahmosaicscheme  sf_surface_mosaic==1 - state:TSK_mosaic,QSFC_mosaic,TSLB_mosaic,SMOIS_mosaic,SH2O_mosaic,CANWAT_mosaic,SNO

I only checked a couple of the variables listed in your rsl* file, but I'm assuming that's the case for several of them.

Thank you very much for the answer @kwerner
I corrected the warning and it no longer appears.

I have an other question
Is the other message giving me some warning or is it the typical message about when this option is used?

'Domain 1 Resetting history stream 0 for aod_out'