Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

error with high topography

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

tanghuan

Hello!
Thank you for reading my email!
I have been using WRF4.1.2 with ERA5 data to simulate the case of Tibetan Plateau, I encontoured the follow error in real program:
----- ERROR: The reference pressure is not monotonically decreasing
This tends to be caused by very high topography
(i,j) = 143 244 , topography = 6820.835 m
k = 12 , reference pressure = 38544.95 Pa
k = 13 , reference pressure = 38650.05 Pa
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 1236
In the dynamics namelist record, reduce etac from 0.2000000
So it failed to get wrfinput_d0* file. I wondered whether it was related to the resolution of the nested grid, and I tried diffrent resolution test with the same area (70-125°E,15-45°N, the Tibetan Plateau is 70-105°E,27-45°N). I founded that the low-resolution (dx > 10km) is succeed, but the high-resolution area (dx = 3km, 4km, 5km) is failed with the same error. If the area is in the east of 95°E, the real program worked well. I want to know why I failed to simulate the whole area(70-125°E,15-45°N) in high-resolution area (dx = 3km, 4km, 5km), and how to solve this problem.
Anyway, thank you for any suggestions.
Tanghuan

Thanks!
I attached the namelist.input file that I used for this case, please check the file.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    5 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for sending that. Take a look at the reply given to this user who was experiencing the same problem and see if it's helpful:
https://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5527&p=10615&hilit=etac#p10615