Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

error with using WPS to process era5 data

Qingyun

Hi,
I am using WPS-4.2 to process the era5 hourly data from september to octocber in 2017, the ungrib.exe can work normally and The metgrib.exe program was also working fine at the beginning, but it broke when it almost finished and I get the following error:
ERROR: Error in ext_pkg_write_field
I have searched the Forums for the same issue, but I don't think we meet the same question. so I write this new post.
I checked metgrid.log and I found it broke when writing SOIL_LAYERS to output. so I wonder if the field is missing from that time data since it was downloaded at the same time as the other times. I'm just learning about meteorology, so I can't differentiate between the causes
I will post metgrid.log, ungrib.log( it is too large so i just post part of it ) and the value I downloaded from the Copernicus Climate Data Store | Copernicus Climate Data Store
I would be honored to receive a response.

Attachments

• pressurelevels.png
    pressurelevels.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 8
  • singlelevel.png
    singlelevel.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 7
  • metgrid.log
    6.4 MB · Views: 5
  • ungrib.log
    4 MB · Views: 5
Hi,
You are right to assume this error is due to some missing data. It typically means there is surface-level data missing; however it's not evident from your ungrib log what may be missing. As a test, can you re-run ungrib and then metgrid, just for the times 2017-10-02_00 to 2017-10-12_00 and see if it still stops in the same place? If it does, then you probably need to look at the data files you're using for ungrib. You can use the WPS/util/g1print.exe program to check the data in the files. There are other ways to look at the data, as well. If you're interested, take a look at this presentation that discusses data (or if you prefer to hear the presentation, with a few more details, you can watch it here).

Otherwise, I would suggest trying to download that data again. Others have claimed they fixed the problem when they re-downloaded the data, though I'm not sure why - perhaps there was a corruption the first time?

Just so you know, I will be out of the office until Jan 8th, so if you need help during that time, you may need to start a new thread so that my colleague(s) will see it. You can point to this thread if you don't want to explain everything again. Otherwise, I'll look at this again when I return.

Hi,
You are right to assume this error is due to some missing data. It typically means there is surface-level data missing; however it's not evident from your ungrib log what may be missing. As a test, can you re-run ungrib and then metgrid, just for the times 2017-10-02_00 to 2017-10-12_00 and see if it still stops in the same place? If it does, then you probably need to look at the data files you're using for ungrib. You can use the WPS/util/g1print.exe program to check the data in the files. There are other ways to look at the data, as well. If you're interested, take a look at this presentation that discusses data (or if you prefer to hear the presentation, with a few more details, you can watch it here).

Otherwise, I would suggest trying to download that data again. Others have claimed they fixed the problem when they re-downloaded the data, though I'm not sure why - perhaps there was a corruption the first time?

Just so you know, I will be out of the office until Jan 8th, so if you need help during that time, you may need to start a new thread so that my colleague(s) will see it. You can point to this thread if you don't want to explain everything again. Otherwise, I'll look at this again when I return.
Thanks for your reply! I have solved the problem by downloading that data again.