Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Fail tests with Intel compiler

alainF

Hello everyone,
I have installed the Intel compiler from these instructions : How to Install Intel Compilers for WRF,

I tried to pass the tests that are here : Compiling WRF

I fail at the last test, Test #2: Fortran + C + NetCDF, when mpif90 and mpicc are invoked. It is at the stage called "Library Compatibility Tests"
The result of the command :
mpif90 02_fortran+c+netcdf+mpi_f.o 02_fortran+c+netcdf+mpi_c.o -L${NETCDF}/lib -lnetcdff -lnetcdf
is below:

/usr/bin/ld: /home/wrf/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdf.a(libdispatch_la-file.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.4' can not be used when making a PIE object; recompile with -fPIE
/usr/bin/ld : impossible de fixer les tailles des sections dynamiques : bad value

All the other tests have been passed.
Do you have an idea ?

Thank you

Well, well...
When I use mpif90 and mpicc from the Intel original distribution, I get the error message as mentioned above, but...
When I compile and use mpif90 and mpicc from the compilation of MPICH as said in the tutorial, then I pass the test !
In order to use the MPICH commands, I just add the path to the corresponding bin directory of MPICH at the head of my $PATH string.

I use the latest Ubuntu (22.04 LTS) and they have gcc-11 inside.
Also, the intel compiler says : icc is deprecated, use icx instead, but I didn't. I use icc.

Finally WRF and WPS have been successfully built by using the latest configuration (mpif90 and mpicc from a compilation of mpich with the intel compiler, according to the instruction of the tutorial)

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get it resolved, and thanks for posting the outcome - it may help others in the future!