Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Fields with missing values using GEFS Reforecast

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.


New member
Hello, I have been trying to initialize WRF (4.2) using the GEFS reforecast dataset ( I have a Python script that downloads all of the required WRF fields from the required timesteps then uses xArray and the PyWinter packages to convert the GRIB files into the WRF intermediate files (I have attached one to this post (FILE.log)), ensuring to convert all fields to the same geographical 0.5 degree grid.

When I try to run metgrid on a simple domain (Small area in CONUS with 4km resolution), metgrid aborts with errors about missing values on fields such as PRES, SOILHGT, PMSL, PSFC, and GHT, ab both (1, 1), along with other coordinates that don't make much sense to me, although when inspecting the data in the files, there are values for the specified fields in the intermediate file.

I have attached my namelist, as well as logs from both metgrid.exe and the output from rd_intermediate.exe.

Any assistance to identifying what is occurring and how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.



  • FILE.log
    140.8 MB · Views: 42
  • namelist.wps
    1 KB · Views: 34
  • rd_intermediate.log
    55.6 KB · Views: 41
  • metgrid.log
    32 KB · Views: 37
I looked at the log files and they indicate that all required fields are available. Please let me know what WPS version did you run? If it is not WPSv4.1, can you try that specific version and see whether it works? Thanks.
I am using WRF/WPS 4.2. my apology for not updating my post here but I believe I have found the solution to my problem.

When further investigating the output from rd_intermediate, I noticed the REF_LAT field was using 90.0000, whereas all other use cases I have worked with using global data used -90.0000 as the REF_LAT, so I simply flipped the latitude definition in my python script and regenerated the intermediate files using PyWinter and both metgrid.exe and real.exe now run without problem. I am in the process of debugging wrf.exe with some segmentation faults, but the model does appear to run partially and the output files I did get before the SEGFAULT do appear fine.

In regards to this problem however, I think flipping the REF_LAT field was sufficient to address the error.