Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Forcing surface winds

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

yhwong

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how I can force surface winds in WRF SCM. However, I can't find a variable that represent surface winds in WRF. There are the variables U10 and V10 (winds at 10m), but they seem to be diagnosed, so forcing them doesn't seem right. I am new to this so please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the surface winds are needed for surface flux calculations in the surface schemes? I looked into the code for surface schemes, but it seems like they simply take u_phy and v_phy (U and V at mass point) as inputs, and use u_phy at first model level as the wind input. Is that what WRF is doing? It seems odd that there are no variables for surface winds, could someone enlighten me?

Thank you very much for any thoughts or ideas you can provide!

U10 and V10 are diagnostic variables computed in sfclay scheme. Surface friction stress is calculated in sfclay scheme, while sensible and later heat flux are calculated in land surface model. Please take a look at the file below, which describes in detail how the model works:
http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutorial/201907/dudhia_physics.pdf