Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Fractional nest domain

kishoreragi

Hi,

I want to make a nest domain with a fractional ratio. For example, 2 km parent resolution to 1.5 km nest resolution. Is there any workaround to achieve this?

Thank you.

Kishore

Kishore,
Unfortunately the grid ratio can only be an integer. If you want your innermost domain to be 1.5 km, I would recommend having a more coarse parent domain. So, for e.g., you could set parent_grid_ratio = 1, 3 and dx/dy = 4500, 1500.

Kishore,
Unfortunately the grid ratio can only be an integer. If you want your innermost domain to be 1.5 km, I would recommend having a more coarse parent domain. So, for e.g., you could set parent_grid_ratio = 1, 3 and dx/dy = 4500, 1500.
Hello,
I am using GFS (0.25º resolution) as initial data for my WRF model. It is a one-way nesting model with ratio 1:5 so my inner domain has 5 km horizontal resolution. I was wondering if it is possible to add a domain in between them to compare results in the 5 km resolution one. However I'm not sure I can achieve this 25 km to 5 km downscaling with an additional domain with ratios the model can handle.
Do you think it is possible?
Thank you.

Unfortunately, it is not possible. However, I don't understand why it is not possible when the inner domain input is always interpolated irrespective of being an integer and a fraction. In future versions, it would be fantastic if users had the ability to set fractional grid ratios.

Unfortunately, it is not possible. However, I don't understand why it is not possible when the inner domain input is always interpolated irrespective of being an integer and a fraction. In future versions, it would be fantastic if users had the ability to set fractional grid ratios.
Thank you for your response,
However, I believe I may not have expressed myself clearly. I was initially seeking an integer ratio for transitioning from the native 25 km resolution (GFS) to a 15 km parent domain and further down to a 5 km inner domain. In reality, WRF only requires an integer ratio between the parent and inner domains (15 / 5 = 3) and does not consider the ratio between the input GFS files and the coarser domain (25 / 15). In my namelist.wps I should set:
parent_grid_ratio = 1, 3,
dx = 15000,
dy = 15000,

I could compare this results with my previous simulation, which involved a single domain transition from GFS to WRF 5 km, to better understand the impact of adding the 15 km domain. Does this approach seem correct?