Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

GCC version for WRF 4.4

Anything greater then 6.0 I believe.

However depending on which operating system if you have GNU 10 or greater there are extra steps to be taken.
Thanks for your response. My system is CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009. The original packaged version of gcc with the system is gcc 4.8.5. I installed gcc-11.3.0 and it failed to compile WRF 4.4.

Thanks for your response. My system is CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009. The original packaged version of gcc with the system is gcc 4.8.5. I installed gcc-11.3.0 and it failed to compile WRF 4.4.
CentOS Linux is tricky to install WRF on. I'm still trying to get it to work. Is there a option for Debian Linux kernels?

So you will need all the GNU packages to be 11.3.0. So gfortran, g++, and gcc.

Since GNU is greater then v10 you will need to recompile your library packages to fix this issue.

So you will need all the GNU packages to be 11.3.0. So gfortran, g++, and gcc.

Since GNU is greater then v10 you will need to recompile your library packages to fix this issue.

Really appreciate your help. First, this whole thing started with the following statement while WRF 4.4 (cloned from git) is configured.
There are some IEEE Fortran 2003 features in WRF that your compiler does not
recognize. The IEEE function calls have been removed.
I am pretty new to WRF and I read somewhere on this site someone posted that this message is due to GCC version used in the system. Is that true?

Really appreciate your help. First, this whole thing started with the following statement while WRF 4.4 (cloned from git) is configured.
There are some IEEE Fortran 2003 features in WRF that your compiler does not
recognize. The IEEE function calls have been removed.
I am pretty new to WRF and I read somewhere on this site someone posted that this message is due to GCC version used in the system. Is that true?
Did you install all the required libraries to run wrf or just git cloned it and then tried to run it?

Or did you follow these steps listed here?

I followed all the steps. All the tests listed there were successful. And I followed the YouTube video (
) as well.
okay that's good to know. That eliminates some of the more common errors.
Try these commands for compiling WRF

./clean -a
./configure | tee configure.log
./compile em_real | tee config.log

Those should make some log files and show what's going on in the terminal. After they are made can you attach them to the thread and ill look at them.

okay that's good to know. That eliminates some of the more common errors.
Try these commands for compiling WRF

./clean -a
./configure | tee configure.log
./compile em_real | tee config.log

Those should make some log files and show what's going on in the terminal. After they are made can you attach them to the thread and ill look at them.
I complied for em_les case. See the attached files. Thanks for your help in advance. GCC version is 4.8.5.

Attachments

• configure.log
    8.8 KB · Views: 0
  • config.log
    847.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi Will,
I did another compilation with GCC version 6.5.0. The log files are attached here.

Attachments

• configure.log
    8.5 KB · Views: 1
  • config.log
    838 KB · Views: 2
When I did
make check
for netcdf-fortran-4.5.2 I got the following.

Making check in libsrc
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/libsrc'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `check'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/libsrc'
Making check in fortran
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/fortran'
make check-am
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/fortran'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `check-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/fortran'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/fortran'
Making check in nf_test
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/nf_test'
make check-am
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/nf_test'
make nf_test tst_int64 tst_f77_v2 ftest nf03_test f03test tst03_f77_v2
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/nf_test'
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=F77 --mode=link gfortran -I../fortran -m64 -L/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/grib2/lib -o nf_test f03lib_f_interfaces.o test_get.o test_put.o nf_error.o nf_test.o test_read.o test_write.o util.o f03lib.o ../fortran/libnetcdff.la -ldl -lm -lnetcdf -lz
libtool: link: gfortran -I../fortran -m64 -o .libs/nf_test f03lib_f_interfaces.o test_get.o test_put.o nf_error.o nf_test.o test_read.o test_write.o util.o f03lib.o -L/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/grib2/lib ../fortran/.libs/libnetcdff.so -ldl -lm -lnetcdf -lz -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib
../fortran/.libs/libnetcdff.so: undefined reference to `nc_inq_var_filter'
../fortran/.libs/libnetcdff.so: undefined reference to `nc_def_var_filter'
../fortran/.libs/libnetcdff.so: undefined reference to `nc_open_mem'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [nf_test] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/nf_test'
make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/nf_test'
make[1]: *** [check] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf-fortran-4.5.2/nf_test'
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

When I build WRF I got the following

diffwrf io_netcdf is being built now.
/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_def_var_chunking_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x5aca): undefined reference to `nc_def_var_chunking_ints'
/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_inq_var_chunking_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x5e0d): undefined reference to `nc_inq_var_chunking_ints'
/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_set_chunk_cache_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x687c): undefined reference to `nc_set_chunk_cache_ints'
/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_get_chunk_cache_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x68b5): undefined reference to `nc_get_chunk_cache_ints'
/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_set_var_chunk_cache_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x6949): undefined reference to `nc_set_var_chunk_cache_ints'
/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_get_var_chunk_cache_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x69a4): undefined reference to `nc_get_var_chunk_cache_ints'

real 0m0.195s
user 0m0.095s
sys 0m0.107s
make[2]: [diffwrf] Error 1 (ignored)

/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_def_var_chunking_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x5aca): undefined reference to `nc_def_var_chunking_ints'
/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_inq_var_chunking_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x5e0d): undefined reference to `nc_inq_var_chunking_ints'
/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_set_chunk_cache_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x687c): undefined reference to `nc_set_chunk_cache_ints'
/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_get_chunk_cache_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x68b5): undefined reference to `nc_get_chunk_cache_ints'
/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_set_var_chunk_cache_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x6949): undefined reference to `nc_set_var_chunk_cache_ints'
/home/WRFgroup/WRF_install/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.a(nf_nc4.o): In function `nf_get_var_chunk_cache_':
nf_nc4.f90:(.text+0x69a4): undefined reference to `nc_get_var_chunk_cache_ints'
0.28user 0.19system 0:00.47elapsed 100%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 93568maxresident)k
0inputs+96560outputs (0major+37844minor)pagefaults 0swaps
make[1]: [em_wrf] Error 1 (ignored)

WRF compile.log is attached.
Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• compile.log
    903.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi @hopitigala
If you weren't able to install NetCDF without errors, then you won't be able to install WRF. The errors in your WRF compile log are specific to NetCDF. Unfortunately we don't have the resources to support NetCDF installation issues, but I can provide a document with step-by-step instructions I use to build an environment for a. GNU compile. I'm attaching it. Keep in mind it's just a template and some things may need to be modified for your use.

GNU/gcc is free software, so I'd recommend trying to get a newer version of it installed. The version we currently use on our NCAR supercomputer is GNUv10.1.0.

Attachments

• Build_WRF_GNU_Environment.pdf
    65.5 KB · Views: 59
Hi @hopitigala
If you weren't able to install NetCDF without errors, then you won't be able to install WRF. The errors in your WRF compile log are specific to NetCDF. Unfortunately we don't have the resources to support NetCDF installation issues, but I can provide a document with step-by-step instructions I use to build an environment for a. GNU compile. I'm attaching it. Keep in mind it's just a template and some things may need to be modified for your use.

GNU/gcc is free software, so I'd recommend trying to get a newer version of it installed. The version we currently use on our NCAR supercomputer is GNUv10.1.0.
Thanks, @kwerner for your reply and for sharing the document. I realized that this is a NetCDF problem and I am working on it. I will keep posted.