Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Geopotential height field from calc_ecmwf_p.exe

kyle_r

Hello,

I am attempting to process ERA5 forcing data for use within WRF, but I am unable to obtain geopotential height from calc_ecmwf_p.exe. I've ungribbed both surface and 3-D fields, and they contain SOILHGT (surface), TT (3D), and SPECHUMD (3D) (please see attached output from rd_intermediate.exe). I am then able to successfully run calc_ecmwf_p.exe, which only has a warning regarding not computing RH (calc_ecmwf_out.txt). When I run rd_intermediate.exe on a "PRES" intermediate file, it only shows PRESSURE as being in the file (intermediate_PRES.txt). From the description of calc_ecmwf_p.exe in the WRF User's Guide, it seems that I have the required variables for computing a 3D geopotential height field, but I don't see any indication of it in the intermediate files. Does anyone know why calc_ecmwf_p.exe isn't outputting geopotential height? Thank you

Attachments

• calc_ecmwf_out.txt
    38.8 KB · Views: 2
  • intermediate_era5_3d.txt
    208 KB · Views: 4
  • intermediate_era5_surface.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 2
  • intermediate_PRES.txt
    52.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Apologies, I should have mentioned that I downloaded the data on model levels instead of pressure levels because model-level data is required for a separate part of our study.

Hi, apologies for the delay in response. I've been out of the office. Thank you for your patience. If you're still having trouble with this, will you attach the "ecmwf_coeffs" file you used for running the calc_ecmwf_p.exe program? Thanks!

No worries. I've attached the coefficient table that I used. I couldn't get it sorted out, so I ended up using the instructions from the ECMWF website for calculating geopotential on model levels, which I then use to calculate geopotential height. Ungrib is locating my geopotential height files, so it seems like everything is working ok with my current workflow.

Attachments

• ecmwf_coeffs.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 4