Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Heavier files with WRF 4.4

janac4

Hello!
I'm changing WRF version from WRF 4.2 to WRF4.4. After running the same simulation I noticed that wrfouts from previous version are half the size of the current version.
I checked for new variables and found that ['WATER_DEPTH', 'GOT_VAR_SSO', 'BATHYMETRY_FLAG'] were added in the new version, but it seems strange to me that only adding 3 variables doubles the size of the wrfout files.
I don't recall setting any special options when compiling WRF in either case, does it make any sense? Is there a reasonable explanation?

When WRF is updated from older to newer version, it is possible that some variables are added to wrfout.
Please run the command:
ncdump -h wrfout_old > old.txt
ncdump -h wrfout_new > new.txt
Then compare old.txt and new.txt. You will find how many variables are added to the new version of WRF.

I did what you suggested and found only the three variables I already mentioned as new data in WRF4.4. It seems strange that after just adding 3 variables the wrfout files have doubled the size.
Also I found :YSU_TOPDOWN_PBLMIX = 1 option when in the past version it vas set to 0, what does it mean?
Thanks for your help.

How about the type of the variables in wrfout? Are they still float or they are changed to double?
The option YSU_TOPDOWN_PBLMIX = 1 turns on radiation-driven mixing process in the PBL scheme.

I found out the problem I think. Wrfout files from WRF4.2 version are netcdf4, while wrfouts from WRF4.4 version are 64-bit offset.
What is the easiest way to change compression type in WRF?