Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Hind-cast modelling

kcmonaka

Greetings, I am interested in performing a seasonal forecast (3 months & 6 months) forecast. now i need guidance since the model is now fully installed and i noticed that it gfs data keeps updating but what do i do when i want to do back test simulation.

Please assist

Hi,

There are a few issues here:
(1) You need to obtain GFS analysis data for the period of your simulation
(2) Follow the normal steps to run WPS (geogrid, ungrib, and metgrid)
(3) Run real.exe to produce initial, boundary and surface update data for your case. note the most important option is that, you must set sst_updaate = 1
(40 run wrf.exe

Please let me know if you have any issue during the process.

Thanks for your response. From your response number 2 and number 3 are perfect and I can easily perform those tasks.

My main issue is the gfs analysis data because it keeps updating and putting recent gfs analysis data. Can you assist as to where I can download them so that I start this beautiful journey.

I also want to check the different physics schemes so see how it affects the accuracy of the forecast. But this will be done at a later stage.