Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How can I let WRF evaluate diagnostic variable at the initial output file

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

eve2508

Hi all,

I am doing data assimilation use WRF. In my experiment, I have to restart my simulation every six hour using the updated WRF output file.

I found that the diagnostic variable such as PBLH are always zeros at the first WRF output file (e.g. wrfout_dxx_xxxx-07-25_00:00:00, wrfout_dxx_xxxx-07-25_06:00:00...etc) but the PBLH is non-zero in the wrfinput file.

So, I was wondering could I let WRF model calculate the diagnostic variable at the first wrf output file or is there any suggestion to solve this problem?

Thank you for your help

Chia-Hua

Chia-Hua,
PBLH is diagnosed from other PBL variables. At the beginning of the integration, these PBL variables are not available and PBLH is always initialized to be zero. This is for the cold-start case.
If you run DA to produce initial conditions, I suppose those variables required to diagnose PBLH should be available, In this case, you can modify the codes to calculate PBLH. Note that this will involve lots of coding and may interfere with the cold-start initialization. You need to be cautious.
Another option is, you probably can manage to let DA process PBLH and include it in DA output. I am not quite familiar with DA codes. You may post a question in DA forum to ask whether this is possible.

Thank you for your reply!

I agree that modifying the source code might be very challenging and I'll ask this question in WRF DA forum.

Besides, I was curious is it possible to directly compute PBLH offline from the WRF output variables?

Thanks

There are various ways to diagnose PBLH, which require other variables as input and these variables may not be included in wrfout. This is why we usually don't recommend people to diagnose PBLH outside the WRF codes.