Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

how to change the lat and lon of convrad idealized case?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

qinkong

Hi! I'm a new user of WRF. I'm trying to investigate the effects of changing soil moisture on boundary layer moist enthalpy. I intend to customize the convrad idealized case. There are couple things I may need to customize among which I want to move the latitude from the tropics to midlatitudes. However I feel confused about how to do so.

Within module_initialize_ideal.F there are
Code:
CALL nl_set_cen_lat(1,20.) CALL nl_set_cen_lon(1,-105.)
which seems to be the way to change lat/lon. However the discussion here (https://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9777&p=19642#p19642) seems to suggest the the nl_set* functions only affect the metadata. Is that correct?

If it is correct? Where should I make these changes? Within module_initialize_ideal.F, there are also code
Code:
grid%xlat(i,j)= 10.
and
Code:
grid%xlong(i,j) = 0.
. Does that mean the latitude and longitude of the whole domain for convrad is set to a constant? The discussion here (https://forum.wrfforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3288&p=29608&hilit=set+long+and+lat#p21430) suggest to look at the held_suarez case which sets the latitude and longitude everywhere. I found the code in module_initialize_heldsuarez.F:
Code:
grid%xlat(i,j)  = (REAL(jg)-0.5)*dphi-90.
Code:
grid%xlong(i,j) = (REAL(ig)-0.5)*dlam-180.
. Is this the right way to go?

I'm using WRFv4.3.3
Appreciate for any help!
Thank!

-Qin

Hi Qin,
I do think that post is similar to what you're interested in. I think it's important that you do the last thing mentioned in that post too, though (regarding share/output_wrf.F - posted by davegill). Try a test with what you're doing and see if it works for you.

Hi Kwerner,

Thanks for your kind reply! I will try the suggestions.

Best,
-Qin
kwerner said:
Hi Qin,
I do think that post is similar to what you're interested in. I think it's important that you do the last thing mentioned in that post too, though (regarding share/output_wrf.F - posted by davegill). Try a test with what you're doing and see if it works for you.