Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to conduct an idealized simulation for 3-D mountain wave

WHY

Dear WRF&MPAS experts,

I want to simulate mountain waves by WRF, but I found it only provide 2-D cases.
So how can i use it to conduct a 3-D simulation?

Thanks for you help.

If you're interested in converting a 2D ideal case to 3D, you will need to modify the initialization program for whichever 2D case you're wanting to use, to make it 3D. Look for the file "module_initialize_idea.F" in the dyn_em directory. You can use the code for one of the 3D ideal cases as a guide.

If you're interested in converting a 2D ideal case to 3D, you will need to modify the initialization program for whichever 2D case you're wanting to use, to make it 3D. Look for the file "module_initialize_idea.F" in the dyn_em directory. You can use the code for one of the 3D ideal cases as a guide.
Dear kwerner,

thank you for your reply!

I have modified the ideal_terrain under hill2d_x into a 3-D shape, but as i returned to compile em_hill2d_x, it seems only to work for single domain and serial computation. What else should i do?

In fact, I then modified the ideal_terrain under quarter_ss and removed its thermal perturbation. After that, I found I can conduct a 3-D mountain wave simulation by compiling em_quarter_ss. Is this a practical way?

Hi,
I first would like to apologize for the long delay in response. I have been busy preparing for the WRF tutorial that is taking place this week and have gotten behind on forum responses. Thank you for your patience.

I suspect the reason you weren't able to compile the hill2d case for parallel processing has something to do with the fact that the model still sees it as 2d (likely somewhere else in the code). If you haven't already, you can run some quick tests with the modified quarter_ss case and see if it provides reasonable results.

Hi,
I first would like to apologize for the long delay in response. I have been busy preparing for the WRF tutorial that is taking place this week and have gotten behind on forum responses. Thank you for your patience.

I suspect the reason you weren't able to compile the hill2d case for parallel processing has something to do with the fact that the model still sees it as 2d (likely somewhere else in the code). If you haven't already, you can run some quick tests with the modified quarter_ss case and see if it provides reasonable results.
Hi,
The result from quarter_ss seems good but needs further certification.

Once again, thank you for your kind attention!

Dear kwerner,

thank you for your reply!

I have modified the ideal_terrain under hill2d_x into a 3-D shape, but as i returned to compile em_hill2d_x, it seems only to work for single domain and serial computation. What else should i do?

In fact, I then modified the ideal_terrain under quarter_ss and removed its thermal perturbation. After that, I found I can conduct a 3-D mountain wave simulation by compiling em_quarter_ss. Is this a practical way?
Please show me the code you modified for the ideal_terrain under quarter_ss and removed its thermal perturbation. I want to do a 3-D mountain wave simulation for my research. I appreciate your help.