Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to make inner 2 nests vortex-following?

astansfield

Hello,

I have been attempting to run a slightly modified TC test case simulation (see namelist attached) with 3 domains. Around 26 hours or so into the simulation, I keep getting a "MPT ERROR: Rank 282(g:282) received signal SIGSEGV(11)." error. I've attached a sample rsl error file. At first I thought this was a memory error, so I upped the number of nodes requested on Cheyenne and also requested the high memory nodes, but I keep running into this issue. When I looked at the PSFC variable at the last timestep before the model run fails, I noticed a large pressure anomaly near the bottom boundary of d02 (see bottom left panel in attached .png). I think this could be related to the TC getting too close to the d02 boundary?
I wanted both d02 and d03 to be vortex-following nests, but I'm not sure how to make 2 nests be vortex-following? Am I initializing the vortex too close to the d02 boundary perhaps?
I'm open to any other suggestions.

Thank you,
Alyssa

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.4 KB · Views: 10
  • wrf_d02_PSFC_timeseries.png
    wrf_d02_PSFC_timeseries.png
    235.3 KB · Views: 7
  • rsl.error.0282.txt
    44.4 KB · Views: 3
Alyssa,
I looked at your namelist.input, which indicates that this is pretty big case with triply nested domains and large grid numbers. I am not sure which version of WRF you are running and how many nodes you used for this case. But I am highly suspicious that this failed case could be attributed to insufficient memory. I found the error message in your rsl file:

grid=<error reading variable: value of type `domain' requires 289448 bytes, which is more than max-value-size>,

Also, the PSFC pattern apparently is wrong along the boundary, which may indicate that some physics also went wrong.

We need more details (wrf version, compiling mode, run style etc.) before we can figure out the issue.

Hi Ming,

Thank you for your reply. I am running WRF version 4.1.3. I configured WRF on Cheyenne using option 15 (dpmar, INTEL (ifort/iccc)) and option 3 for vortex-following nest. I compiled the idealized TC test case (em_tropical_cyclone).

Please note that vortex-following is designed for real-data case. It is not appropriate for the ideal TC case.

I just take a quick look at the paper, --- i believe that the authors have modified the codes to realize their simulations. I will keep you updated if I find more information regarding this issue.