Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to set the time step to 0.2 seconds?

KiyoTom

Hello all!

How do I set the time step to 0.2 seconds when doing data assimilation by 4DVar?

I am forecasting a 2 domain model and want to do data assimilation with 4DVar for domain 2.

When I was forecasting a 2-domain model without data assimilation, I was able to forecast domain 2 with a 0.2 second time step by specifying a time step in namelist.input.

&domains
time_step = 2,
time_step_fract_num = 0,
time_step_fract_den = 1,
parent_time_step_ratio = 1, 10,
/

Specifying namelist.input for data assimilation by 4DVar resulted in the error For 4DVAR, in the &domains namelist, "time_step" must be set to a non-zero value.

&domains
time_step = 0,
time_step_fract_num = 2,
time_step_fract_den = 10,
/

How do I set a time step of 0.2 seconds?

Best regards.

Your option below is correct for setting a time_step of 0.2.

Code:
&domains
time_step = 0,
time_step_fract_num = 2,
time_step_fract_den = 10,
/

Unfortunately DA has special requirement for time step. I don't think time step of 0.2 could work for DA.

Hi Ming.

Thanks for the reply.

When I run 4DVar with the namelist.input settings you gave me, I get an error.

Code:
---------------------------- FATAL ERROR -----------------------
Fatal error in file:  da_solve.inc  LINE:     113
For 4DVAR, in the &domains namelist, "time_step" must be set to a non-zero value
----------------------------------------------------------------

For 3DVar, there is no error.

If you look around line 113 of "da_solve.inc", it checks if time_step is zero only in the case of 4DVar.

Best regards.

Thank you.

I also adjusted the size of the model and reconfigured it to run in integer seconds.

Best regards.