Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

how to turn off scale-aware in GF cumulus scheme?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

liqi123sh

Hi all,

I'd like to compare the Grell–Freitas Ensemble Scheme with and without scale-awareness.

My questions are:
[1] Is Grell 3D Ensemble Scheme or Grell–Devenyi (GD) Ensemble Scheme comparable to the GF scheme but without scale-aware?
[2] If not, how to turn off the scale-ware in GF?

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

1) I would recommend reading the literature about the different schemes to determine the similarities and differences between them. "Comparable" is a relative term, so it's probably best if you make that assessment regarding your personal application, based on what you learn from the readings. You can find that here: http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/phys_references.html#CU

2) I'm not sure if there is an easy way to simply turn off scale-aware feature, as this scheme was created for a scale-aware application. You may find information in the above literature that could help with that, or you may need to read through and play around with the code a bit.